Mums with PCOS

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

feelsobad Posts: 693
anyone out there who has PCOS and had baby or is pregnant?
silverstar Posts: 223
Chloe I was diagnosed with PCOS 10+ years. My wee man will be four years now in January! I remember the day I done the test (well actually had to do five before I believed it!) Sat and cried in the Doctors surgery, she thought it was because I was pregnant and it wasn't planned but it was because I was so pleased to be pregnant. When I was 19 I was told I'd never have children. Saying that we've been trying now for four months and no good as yet. So I've been referred to the Consultant for treatment ?Clomid. Have you been diagnosied with it yet? R
halo Posts: 1406
Have PCOS and am TTC, great to hear stories like yours, Silverstar, gives me hope! If you don't mind me asking, how do you manage your PCOS? Mine is only a recent diagnosis, so I'm still in the stage of finding out how to manage it.
LJMom Posts: 1100
Hi happyout! & Chloe, I too was diagnosed with PCOS over 5 years ago. My DS will be 5 in Feb. I got pregnant on him as doctor at the time told me Id never get pregnant naturally & that my pcos was quite advanced, so we stopped contraception he was our little suprise at the time :stork: ! I am now on my 3rd month ttc & havent really thought much about the PCOS however from what I read up at the time it never goes away. So I might mention it to my doc in a few months if nothing happens. With regards to managing it happyout! I didnt really do anything different. I read up alot on it but I never found it affected me apart from not getting af very often. Best of luck girls :babydust:
feelsobad Posts: 693
Hi Silverstar - No haven't been dignosed. Came off pill June and had two periods and then they stopped - so missed nearly 3. Went for blood tests and and it showed my LH levels v high so doc says that is a sign of PCOS - getting more bloods done and have ultrasound on Monday. Just trying to prepare myself if they say that is what I have - feel a bit scared about it all.... TTC and dying for a baby! Don't have any other symptoms - few spots on chin when came of pill but they have gone, not overweight - healthy eater. no excess hair or some of the other symptoms.... Not sure what to think really just hoping they say it is not PCOS and just my body adjusting. :weep
silverstar Posts: 223
Sorry for not getting back sooner - internet too slow at work so had to do a bit of work! O:| Chloe, did you go for the ultra scan - how'd it go? happyout! - didn't do anything different - was told to lose weight but haven't been able to - as I said I was diagnosed 10+ years and I've always had a problem with my weight, I'm now 7 stone over weight :eek , tried numerous diets after diets and no good, also have problem with excessive hair (especially my chest and lower part of my face) don't want to scare you with all this but it's just my symptoms. They say a healthy diet helps but I don't know - maybe its just cause I like my food! I've gone four years without a period - my last one was in June past and nothing since but get the odd cramps - good luck R
4 years without a pd :eek wow, that's a long time! mine are not that bad at all at all. I've been doing a lot of research, and found a couple of great links on various sites, [url:pj48ddlt]http://www.irishinfertilitysupportforums.ie[/url:pj48ddlt] is one, and [url:pj48ddlt]http://www.soulcysters.com[/url:pj48ddlt] (ignore the awful name! the info is great) is another. I guess I'm coming up on a year now TTC, with no luck, so am going to try everything I can to try to sort it out. I suppose most of you have heard all this before, but some supplements that have been recommended are agnus castus, vitamin b complex and either evening primrose oil or starflower oil, along with the low GI diet. Cinnamon is meant to be good too... I am currently haunting the local health food store feeling like a hippie save the earth type freak with all my twigs and berries, no more caffeine or junk food or anything nice in fact for me :action34 For the TTCers, have any of you asked your doctor about glucophage (or sometimes called metformin) as I heard it is supposed to help with the PCOS? I am waiting on a scan and once that's through, I can start jumping up an down demanding stuff off the doc, until then, I'm just trying to do the whole natural thing to see if that helps at all.
naughty nuptials Posts: 517
Happout, I'm a TTCer with PCOS and I've been taking metformin for about 3 months now (have only been TTC for one month). Not sure if it's improved my fertility, but the weight has literally been falling off me. Was exercising and dieting like mad for the last year and no results. Then I started taking Metformin and hey presto! Excess weight is one of the main factors of sub-fertility (esp for PCOSers) so I'd stay it's a step in the right direction. Warning though - Metformin has a lot of side effects, including making you feel pretty sick (which come to think of it probably helped with the weight loss a bit!) Glad to answer any specific questions you have. And, as someone mentioned earlier, soulcyster.net is a great source of info for all things related to PCOS. Good luck girls NN
Cheers NN, good to hear positive reports on the metformin. Will be asking the doc to prescribe it for me once I have a scan to confirm, and try to get on with TTC. Sick of all this waiting round! Best of luck TTC to yourself too!