Music during labour and delivery

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

LizaMinnelli Posts: 171
Hi Ladies Hoping you can answer a silly question :) When listening to music during labour and delivery do people mean using headphones or would it be possible to bring in those small portable speakers to the delivery suite? I imagine headphones would get quite annoying after a while! I'm thinking for playing the gentlebirth CDs not for blaring a heavy metal or anything like that....
Bigsurprise Posts: 961
I had a radio on - the midwives asked if I wanted it on or not.
Sassypants Posts: 4461
I had headphones on as really wanted to be in my own head if you know what I mean but only lasted a while as I couldn't bear anything. I kept sticking my fingers in my ears when I had a contraction. And god help anyone who spoke while I was having one... (just don't distract me ffs!)
babyforus Posts: 1619
Similar to sassypants! But I did rock out to nirvana for a while! (after I ditched gentle birth!). Anyway I'm going to get back into gentle birth this time. Found it great for relaxation prior to birth.
katiebaby78 Posts: 679
I found gentle birth great up until delivery but during delivery you need to listen to the midwives and I needed to take direction. In the throws of labour music was last thing in my mind. I found my hubbie rubbing my back took attention away from contractions and gave me something else to focus on.
Char27 Posts: 376
We brought some small speakers and they were fine. We just had music that I liked instead of specific relaxing music.
papillon Posts: 1305
There was a cd player in my delivery room. I played Bruce Springsteen's Nebraska :-)
iggy11 Posts: 91
I listened to my ipod until the pain got really bad. The radio was on in the delivery room and most of my labour was overnight so it was just music no talk which was fine. By the time I started pushing there was a presenter on that I absolutely detest so I screamed at my dh to change the station!
atina Posts: 2240
My friend had her baby around Christmas and Christmas FM was on during her delivery....needless to say its changed her feelings on some christmas songs :o0