Menu

Music during labour?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Sphynx Posts: 6795
Hi girls - I keep hearing people recommending bringing in your favourite cd or relaxing music for the labour. Am just wondering what you did or are planning to do - can you bring in a small stereo or just a walkman or n i-pod? Do you need to use ear phones or can you have speakers? Do all hospitals allow this? Would love to know. Would say it definitely helps you to relax but would it not be v. distracting for the midwives?
Desert-Moon Posts: 1174
Thats a good point! I'd like music too, keep my mind off the contractions! But if you had earphones you wouldn't hear the midwives, and a little stereo or radio probably would put them off. I wonder if anyone else has done this? I'd be interested to know too. *)
NotHere Posts: 10273
I'd like to know too please! :thnk
Heavenleigh Posts: 1406
We were looking at two hospitals last week, and they both had lil stereos there already, so you only need to bring your own CD´s. Maybe worth asking if some of the hospitals provide stereos...I would like to bring my own CDs with me, not sure which ones though....
Ferdi Posts: 704
Hi Ladies, burned a cd with my favourite songs and then the 2 cd players in the delivery room wouldn't play it - just check the CD before hand to make sure it plays in all cd players. Fortunately Live Earth was on the Radio !
Sphynx Posts: 6795
I suppose it's a good question for the ante-natal class - I guess it depends on the hospital.
Heavenleigh Posts: 1406
Thats right Sphynx, make sure and ask the next time...Then you will only have to chose which CD you bring in :o0
speedy55 Posts: 512
i spent hours organising all my music,i'd a relaxation section and a pushing section!god those were the days!! anyway when it came to it, i couldn't be bothered with the earphones in my ears. but my midwife brought in a cd player and if i'd known that i'd have made a few cds instead.....so after all my effort with my ipod, nada! listened to monks chanting for 6 hours instead. my hubbie said at one stage it was like a funeral parlour!