My Birth Story

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Baby Mad Posts: 1756
Well girls, he's finally here and I can't remember how we lived without this little guy already :lvs I was brought in to be induced on the 4th of June to be told that the labour ward was very busy and they wouldn't be inducing me until the following morning. So at 6 a.m on the 5th I was given the gel and told I would be examined 6 hrs later and that I would probably need a second dose. My consultant examined me after lucnh and said I didn't need a second dose and that I was 1cm dilated and was to be brought to the labour ward to have my waters broken. At 3 p.m. we were taken to the labour ward where they broke my waters and started me on the drip. The pains came almost immediately but were bearable by breathing through them. As they increased the drip the pains got worse and by the time I was on the maximum amount I was on gas and air (which I found fab :hic ................for a while :o0 ). I then asked for the epidural which they only advise from 3cm onwards so they called a midwife to examine me. I was 3-4 cm at that stage, pretty dissapointing as I thought I was much further along considering the pain I was in :o(. I was given the epidural and my god I became a different person, I was finally able to relax and it was sweet heaven until about an hour later I realised it hadn't worked on my right side. I was in sooo much pain on one side I couldn't imagine what it would be like if it hadn't worked at all. I was wonderful again when the top up finally worked. The next few hours were really slow and although I was on the maximum drip and was having maximum contractions, things weren't progressing as quickly as they would like. At 2.00 a.m. (11 hours after arriving in the labour ward and three more top ups of the epi because it kept wearing off on my right side) there was talk about them bringing me down for a c section. I was exhausted at this stage and they thought I had been in labour long enough. I was 6-7 cm but he just wasn't decending. i was examined and told that they would leave me for another 2 hours and re-examine me and make a decision. 2 hours later the said exactly the same thing and 2 hours later they told me they give me another hour. I couldn't believe how tired I was and I was getting very disheartened with them leaving me but an hour later I was fully dilated and told I could start to push in a few mins. I honestly didn't know how I was going to do it I was so tired but the midwives and my wonderful hubby kept telling me I could do it and it was all nearly over. The dr had said I would be pushing for about an hour but after 20 mins our gorgeous little man arrived. He weighed in at 8lb 6oz and 21 inches long. He is absolutely gorgeous and we can't imagine our lives without him already. It was such an emotional expierence but it was honestly the best day of our lives (even if it took him 18 hours to arrive) :lvs
Poppit Posts: 2042
Awww Baby Mad, :lvs A HUGE Congrats :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll Cant believe you a Mammy already. Welcome to your baby boy. He sounds adorable. Thank you so much for sharing. Well done you, 18 hours :eek you must have been exhausted. Did they say why epi didn't work properly down one side? poppit xxx
Milly83 Posts: 3620
Congrats BabyMad! Delighted for you!!! What did you call him??
Barbalou Posts: 1617
Congrats and thanks for sharing
bonita Posts: 1678
Aw Congrats :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll Thanks for sharing. Delighted for you - I remember your BFP !
GotPreggers Posts: 988
Ah BabyMad, Congratulations!! :o)ll Delighted for you hun!
naughtybutnice Posts: 1858
congratulations baby mad only seems like yesterday you were announcing your BFP!!!18 hours tough labour-well done. hope you enjoy every minute of your wee man
roxychick Posts: 1802
Congrats Baby Mad, all of the may mammies have had babies now I think. There's athread on M & K if u want to join :o)ll
sherbetlemon Posts: 927
Thrilled for you babymad. Many many congrats on the birth of your little son. x :xxx
Its Me Posts: 1788
Huge Congrats and thanks for sharing your story :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll