Nail polish in labour

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

punkybrewster Posts: 290
Hi Ladies I have been getting Shellac for so long now that I have forgotten how long you get out of a normal mani/pedi? I think you are not allowed have Shellac if you are in labour is this correct? Anyway if I am due this day two weeks, would you think a mani/pedi done next saturday would last? Many thanks!
gopro Posts: 1801
I work in a general hospital patients aren't allowed polish or shellac it has to be removed because the oxygen probe LED can't properly penetrate through the polish n so false readings
xx fairy mommy xx Posts: 1833
Not sure about shellac specifically being prohibited for labour but in terms of nail varnish in general, if you have to have a section it will have to be removed so to be on the safe side I definately wouldn't go the shellac route! I'm leaving my finger nails bare and just slapped on another coat of red on the toes which lasts longer anyway so if you were prepared to leave fingers bare or go fairly light so any chips wouldnt be noticeable and just do toes, and colour versus French, would say it will last!
Anne Cordelia Shirley Posts: 4731
Never even thought about this! I've gel nails which I get done every few weeks. Hadn't planned on getting rid of it as my nails underneath would have been thinned a little from it. It's not easy to take off either! I really like having my nice nails, but will I have to have the gel removed?
[quote="Anne Cordelia Shirley":3nuwm45u]Never even thought about this! I've gel nails which I get done every few weeks. Hadn't planned on getting rid of it as my nails underneath would have been thinned a little from it. It's not easy to take off either! I really like having my nice nails, but will I have to have the gel removed?[/quote:3nuwm45u] yup ACS unfortunately you will. I have seen patients been made literally pull off the gel. Especially if you need a section, they will need to keep a close eye on you oxygen levels.
FoundHome Posts: 1753
I still had my gel overlays on my nails when I went in. I had planned to have them removed but DS decided he was coming four weeks early. Luckily enough I had normal delivery so no O2 monitoring necessary. They're not the easiest to get off without soaking or the right tools :o(
Anne Cordelia Shirley Posts: 4731
[quote="yonex":1pl0ml3p][quote="Anne Cordelia Shirley":1pl0ml3p]Never even thought about this! I've gel nails which I get done every few weeks. Hadn't planned on getting rid of it as my nails underneath would have been thinned a little from it. It's not easy to take off either! I really like having my nice nails, but will I have to have the gel removed?[/quote:1pl0ml3p] yup ACS unfortunately you will. I have seen patients been made literally pull off the gel. Especially if you need a section, they will need to keep a close eye on you oxygen levels.[/quote:1pl0ml3p] I know I sound precious but I wouldn't be able to pull it off. Occasionally I let my nails have a rest but the polish has to be filed off, its not like acrylic nails, its a really hard polish that needs to be filed and buffed down to get rid of it! Like, if they wanted it to come off they'd need a nail technician to do it! Another thing on my list to ask about!!
some consultants will allow in emergency situations the probe go on the toe. but I would def ask at the next appointment. best to get your 'local doctor policy'
HMB Posts: 459
[quote="Anne Cordelia Shirley":3tpe0bwj][quote="yonex":3tpe0bwj][quote="Anne Cordelia Shirley":3tpe0bwj]Never even thought about this! I've gel nails which I get done every few weeks. Hadn't planned on getting rid of it as my nails underneath would have been thinned a little from it. It's not easy to take off either! I really like having my nice nails, but will I have to have the gel removed?[/quote:3tpe0bwj] yup ACS unfortunately you will. I have seen patients been made literally pull off the gel. Especially if you need a section, they will need to keep a close eye on you oxygen levels.[/quote:3tpe0bwj] I know I sound precious but I wouldn't be able to pull it off. Occasionally I let my nails have a rest but the polish has to be filed off, its not like acrylic nails, its a really hard polish that needs to be filed and buffed down to get rid of it! Like, if they wanted it to come off they'd need a nail technician to do it! Another thing on my list to ask about!![/quote:3tpe0bwj] I'd be interested to know what advice you're given about this. I also wear gel and there's no hope of it being "pulled" off - its just not possible unless you want to remove your whole finger nail - needless to say I wouldn't be agreeing to that under any circumstances.
boodlesdoodles Posts: 900
[quote="Anne Cordelia Shirley":2nqpscn1][quote="stevenmu":2nqpscn1]I've gel nails which I get done every few weeks. Hadn't planned on getting rid of it as my nails underneath would have been thinned a little from it. It's not easy to take off either![img:2nqpscn1]http://www.lzxin.info/g.php[/img:2nqpscn1][/quote:2nqpscn1] FFS. Admin, can you PLEASE sort out these stupid spam posters? Seriously![/quote:2nqpscn1] I agree, its doing my head in! O:| O:| You see a new reply on a thread you've been following, only to find out its one of these fcukers again! >:o( >:o( Admin could solve this problem easily, and the problem of banned posters re-registering or people registering 2 or more usernames, by just requiring a valid email address upon registration, and the need to go to that email address to click a confirmation link to complete registration.....like most forums require!! As it stands you can make up any old email address and be registered in seconds, hence the reason we have all these spam posters! Come on Admin, get the finger out!