Name darcy

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

partyon Posts: 77
Lookin at baby names! Is it darcie for girl n darcy for boy? But then darcy meaning irish dark haired girl? Is it really an Irish name?
balse Posts: 17
Love both versions, but think I like it best for a boy. Sorry I can't be of any help with the history. It always makes me think of Pride and Prejudice :lvs
partyon Posts: 77
I actually really like it for boy or girl I suppose it's just spelling!
Baby Powder Posts: 265
makes me think of Darcey Bussell. Don't think I've ever heard it for anyone else, be it male or female, it's a lovely name, I'd be more inclined to use the female version. To me spelling it Darcie is very american, sorry :-8 Only male forms I can think of is those who have it as a surname, Gordon D'arcy, Ray D'arcy, Mr Darcy, think it's really lovely for a girl, not so for a boy!
gopro Posts: 1801
Darcey for a girl
mamime Posts: 791
I know a girl called Darcy :) And her parents love ireland and irish names so i presume it is irish alright! Its a lovely name.
whereland Posts: 472
There is no letter Y in the irish language so it's not an irish name. Very pretty for a girl though
Persephone Posts: 928
Love it for a girl. Was actually one of the names we were going to pick if we had a girl. Couldn't give a toss about the origin of a name or anything of the sort. Go with what you like!
Persephone Posts: 928
Also, I think it's Norman in origin. As in from the town or Arcy (d'Arcy). I'd say the first name is just a derivative of the surname.
Sunspeckle Posts: 437
I think Darcy for a girl is lovely. Its not a traditional Irish name...I think its a tradition that the Irish Americans started to use the mothers surname for a first name to keep them in the family. Other examples would be Nolan, Ryan, Reilly for boys and Sloane is the only other example I can think of for a girl...