"Natural" C-Section Birth Plan

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

pigeonwife Posts: 3789
Just in case anyone is wincing the "natural" is not in relation to pain relief. :) Thought I would share my very positive experience of a section in CUMH. So it all started when I saw this video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5RIcaK98Yg At my last appointment with the consultant I discussed all the preferences I had based on the above and was pretty much told flat out no and that it was against procedure and the only way to get this changed would be to write to the director general of midwifery, yadayada. As you can imagine I left feeling pretty despondent... Was scheduled for section last Thursday so Wedensday night I sat down and revised my carefully written VBAC birth plan to the following birth plan... [quote:1m4z22hu] Caesarian Birth Plan for Pigeonwife Scheduled Date: 18/08/2011 My husband and I are looking forward to sharing our birth experience with you. We have created this birth plan in order to outline some of our preferences for birth. We would appreciate you reviewing this plan, and would be happy to do so with you. We understand that there may be situations in which our choices may not be possible, but we hope that you will help us to move toward our goals as much as possible and to make this birth a great experience. We would like to be informed of any procedures in advance, and to be allowed the chance to give informed consent. Please feel free to ask if you have any questions or comments. Thank you! Anesthesia/Pain Medication • I would prefer a spinal to an epidural. • I would like the ECG dots to be placed away from my chest (on back of shoulders and side) to allow for skin to skin contact after delivery • Please administer the drip in my left arm leaving my right arm free to hold the baby • Please ensure all medications are suitable for breastfeeding Cesarean Section Delivery • I would like my husband to be present during the surgery. • Please explain the surgery to me as it happens. • Please lower the screen just before delivery so I may see the birth of the baby. If this is not possible please allow my husband to see the baby being born. • Please tell us the sex of the baby as soon as you know it (baby will be coming out feet first so you will know before birth is complete ;) • I would like the baby placed on my chest immediately after delivery. • If possible, please evaluate the baby on my chest. If this is not possible my husband would like to accompany the baby to the warming table with the midwife and be present for baby’s checks • I would like to have skin to skin contact after delivery. If this is not possible my husband would like to have skin to skin contact until such time as I am able • If possible, I would like to breastfeed the baby immediately after the birth. • If the baby must go to the nursery for evaluation or medical treatment, I would like my husband to accompany the baby at all times. • Please request my permission before administering Vitamin K injection. Recovery • I would like to have my husband and baby with me in recovery • I would like to eat after the surgery if I am hungry Breastfeeding • I plan to breastfeed and want to nurse immediately following the birth. • Please do not give the baby supplements (including formula, glucose, or plain water) without my consent. • Please do not give the baby a pacifier. Post Partum • I would like to keep the baby with me at all times. • I would like to have the catheter removed as soon as possible. [/quote:1m4z22hu] Even though I put this together I felt pretty despondent and at times came close to tearing it up (had a very bad night Weds - didn't sleep a wink). Anyway lo and behold when I finally made it to theatre (alot of emergencies meant my DD wasn't born until 7pm) my birth plan was gone through in detail (a copy came into theatre with me and I saw a number of the personel reading it) and more or less everything I asked for was adhered to. I do think it made a huge difference that my whole team was female (DH was the only man in the theatre). Anyway just thought I'd share and below is a pic of DD having her first feed on the operating table while I'm being stitched up. [img:1m4z22hu]http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/320638_1473971387429_1778036108_694828_5692127_s.jpg[/img:1m4z22hu]
bridalnowmam Posts: 2202
Thanks so much for sharing that I posted up earlier this week about having been pretty much told that i cannot have skin to skin as theatre is small, i will be busy being stitched up etc but i want to revisit that again I am defo going to save this for future reference Glad to hear it was all followed, clearly alot of work went into it , congrats to you and your hubby :wv
pigeonwife Posts: 3789
Get the midwife on side! I owe it all to her really - I reiterated a number of times NOT to dress the baby (just ask them to put a nappy on and wrap her in a blanket). But I really owe the midwife who grabbed my DD (another MW - think she was a student had her all bundeled up), unwrapped her and shoved her down my gown! :compress Best of luck!
lilygrace Posts: 195
Thank you so much for sharing - some excellent pointers in there :thnk
SandyClaws Posts: 3108
Thanks so much for this pigeonwife and congrats on your dd's arrival
Baby10 Posts: 318
[b:3086q8vg]If the baby must go to the nursery for evaluation or medical treatment, I would like my husband to accompany the baby at all times. [/b:3086q8vg] I definitely agree with your point above that you included - when I had DS by C-section last year I had some skin to skin contact but then he was taken off for examination etc and DH was shown out of the room while I was being stitched up. I thought that DH was with DS but when I went in to the recovery room DS was in an incubator at the top of the room and DH wasnt allowed in for a further 10 mins so poor little DS was on his own so to speak. Now he was brought down to us then and all was fine but I would not want this happening again. So a birth plan sound like a good thing to have once all involved take your requests on board.
BabasFor2012 Posts: 1594
Brilliant PW! Thank you for posting this. I saw that video as well and have wondered how Irish hospitals would take to something like that. Have to think about every eventuality for twins and very nice to see that it's not impossible that they would take your wishes into account. Congrats on your DD, she is gorgeous :lvs
Anonmama Posts: 239
Congratulations on the birth of your daughter, PW! I'm having a planned section next Thursday and will be literally copying and pasting your birth plan! Thanks for sharing.
tilsun Posts: 4506
Congrats on the birth of your gorgeous girl :o)ll Glad you were happy with how it all went and that you are both doing well
i want one Posts: 2893
pigeon wife congrats never knew you had the baby. she looks beautiful in the pic what weight was she. oh so delighted hope you DS is bonding well with his new sis and that you are recovering well :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :lvs