Need advice

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

lolabelle Posts: 3311
We will be moving house very soon and we are undecided what do to.... We are both major movie lovers and have our own "cinema" We have a projector/screen/surround sound set up in our living room and we would watch a lot of movies. I'd say we have well over 250 DVDs. The problem is that I don't want to have to lug all these DVDs with us. My solution is to upload them all on to a portable hard drive (1 or 2 terabytes) and my DH's solution is to get a CD case and just remove the DVDs from the boxes. I don't like the idea of having all the loose DVDs as I can see some getting lost. What do ye think is the best thing to do?
bridenl Posts: 454
Well it depends on the amount of money you want to put into it tbh. You could go down the route of having a media center for this which you could/would store all your movies on. This would be the more costly option than the cd case :o0
Salander Posts: 1639
loose dvds = scratched dvds! i would put them on a hard drive or just bite the bullet and pack them.
Diamondz Posts: 2208
Don't think its just as easy as copying them to a hard drive or media centre either as DVD's are encrypted. So I guess you will need to got some sort of software to overcome this... You need to get cracking if you plan to copy them all, I'd imagine that copying 250 DVD's could take long while... Personally I would jsut pack them and bring them with me - but that's just me being lazy :-8
Rocksie80 Posts: 4045
OH is in the process of putting all our DVDs on to hard-drives and media players at the moment. I look forward to the day I can either pack away all the DVDs or Ebay them! It's taking quite a while to copy them all though, so you'll have to allow for that.
MinnietheMinx Posts: 2396
I would pack them all and bring them with me- I know it's time consuming and will take a lot of space in the moving van but I like having all my DVDs on shelves and flicking through them all. If you don't want the hassle I'd copy them to a hard drive
lolabelle Posts: 3311
Thanks girls - we don't really have the option to bring them with us as there is just too many of them and they will take up so much room that I need for shoes!!! :o0 :o0 :o0 :o0 :o0 Its not that we are moving from Kildare to Wicklow - we are going a lot further afield and will need to have our things shipped on a container :duh: So we are really limited. DH is an IT geek and he can copy the movies and compress them so it doesn't take long at all.
Diamondz Posts: 2208
[quote="Lolabelle":2252avgf]Thanks girls - we don't really have the option to bring them with us as there is just too many of them and they will take up so much room that I need for shoes!!! :o0 :o0 :o0 :o0 :o0 [/quote:2252avgf] Oh well in that case... shoes are so much more important - enough said :o0 :o0 Seriously though - if your DH can do this fairly easily then a media centre is a great idea!