need help! what size BM dress to order for pregant BM.

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

overthemoon99 Posts: 527
Hi girls, my BM just told me last night that she's pregnant, now the doctor thinks she's 9 weeks but she thinks she’s only 7 weeks, so my wedding is in June and she's due around April/may. so she's a size 12 now, I’m going to order the dresses next week from gownsales but note sure now should i order 2 sizes too big for her and get it taken in the week before the wedding and hope that she's lost the baby belly by then or what will i do?????? but being realistic, will she loss any weight at all in a month??? she'll be under enough pressure with a new baby and fitting into a dress will be the last thing on her mind, so I’m worried not that the dress 2 sizes too big will not even fit her. With her 1st child she was very skinny only had tiny bump and was size 8, but her 2nd child she was size 12 before she got pregnant but was unbelievable huge when she had the baby and was massive for a good few months after, so I’m thinking she'll more likely to be the same as her 2nd pregnancy......... What you think girls??????
Missus Lippy Posts: 5879
I would order it 2 sizes too big at least. I know it seems a lot and she might not need it in all the measurements but she might find she would be bigger on top etc depending on whether she is breast feeding. You can always alter a dress if it's too big but if it's too small, you are sunk. Same thing happened to me, BM had baby 3 months before wedding. My dresses were two pieces so bottom was ordered 1 size too big and top two sizes too big. She was breastfeeding so got a lot of the weight off quickly but still she barely fitted into the skirt and the top was tight around the waist but big around the boobs. If your sis is not breastfeeding, she will find it very hard to get the weight down in such a small space of time and especially on a third child I would presume.
BusyDee Posts: 8527
There was a similar thread about this lately. I would probably judge it on how she got on with her last baby. Is she the type to worry about her weight and want to get it all off after? Maybe just ask her what size would she feel comfortable ordering, but what ever she says I would def order at least 2/3 sizes bigger. As the saying goes its easier to take it in than let it out!
thanks girls, yeah as long as the dress is big enought we'll get it taken in the week before the wedding. she's very laid back when it comes to losing weight, so i don't think she'll have lost that much really in that short of time. ok so order either 16 or 18 then might be ok and just keep my fingers crossed that she fits into it!!!!!! :thnk
ladyandthetramp Posts: 411
I think you could wait a while and see how she goes, and i reckon if she read this you wouldnt need one, she probably wouldnt want to be your bridesmaid after the way you described her :o0
i know it sound terrible!!!! but i never meant to be horrible i was only answering Dcee question!!!!! i know it'll be grand we'll squeeze her into the dress!!!! hee-hee!!! :-8
Hi does she really want to be bridesmaid, i know that after i had my baby the last thing id want to do is sqeeze into a dress that 2 sizes bigger than i normally would be and have my photo taken all day! just a suggestion ask her if she still really wants to do and if she feels crap about it then maybe let her off the hoook and find someone else. if she does really want to do it , at least give her a dress with straps so she can wear a bra!! the bulge doesnt go instantly i went to a wedding a few weeks after i had my baby and people kept askeng me when i was due!!!! :o0 i laugh now but at the time i was really upset, so just check with her.
oh crap i never thought about the dress the ones i've picked are strapless O:| O:| i'll just ask her at the weekend and tell her to take a week or 2 and let me know and maybe ger her to do a reading instead if she feels up to it. i know i'm being selfish when i say this but she'll miss my hen and all cause i need to have that in april as my daughter is making her 1st comm in 3rd weekend in may and my other BM is making conformation 1st weekend in may. O:| O:| i've known her since i was 3 we sat beside each other in every class from baby infants till 5th year even went to the same collage together, thats why i really want her as my BM, i hope she does not change her mind!
im sure she will do it but i wouldnt worry to much if she doesnt it wont be because she doesnt love you! she just mite not want to be reminded of the dress, extra weight etc everytime you show the dvd or take out the album!!!! but you said before that losing weight mite not be the first thing on her mind so she mite delighted of the excuse of a good old knees up and if she is bm someone will have to mind the kids !!!!! but id get straps on that dress so she can wear a bra if bf or even if not, the old boobies tend to head south after pregnancy!!!! :o0