Need the help of all the mummies out there!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Persephone Posts: 928
Hi all! My lovely BIL and his gorgeous wife are expecting a little bundle of joy next month and my husband and I really want to give them a good gift. I'm not sure what to get them at all as I'm not a mum myself and have no friends with children that could help me out. We want to spend between €200-€300 on them. I'm thinking getting them vouchers is a good idea but I'm not sure if it's too practical to be sentimental. What do you think??? Also, if vouchers are the way to go, what shop would be best and should I give it to them in advance to help them prepare or is that a bad idea? Thanks in advance for all help :thnk
ttc_bfp_opk_wtf Posts: 682
Vouchers would be great. Somewhere like Boots prehaps as they have the day to day essentials (nappies, nappies and more nappies!) but also luxury stuff for mum and dad if they fancied treating themselves. Alternatively if there is one of teh big ticket items that they have not already bought (cot, car seat etc) then that amount would cover something like that and seeing it would remind them of your kindness. One proviso, let them pick the actual cot etc themselves. I think all mums to be are traumatised when someone buys something expensive that they hate. Might be an excuse to take them out, pick something and have a nice lunch afterwards?
That's a lovely idea! Thanks for that!
Ochre Posts: 877
A friend of mine has just given birth and just beforehand she said that she'd been advised to not buy everything herself as some people ask what you want before they buy (usually relatives or close friends) so I think TTC's idea's a great one - tell her you want her to be totally honest with you and that you want to make sure what you get her is exactly what she wants and I bet there'll be something she's been hemming and hawing over and will be delighted that you're going to get it. That or she'll be able to tell you where she'd love vouchers for.
Mrsexcited Posts: 927
Snookie - i would ask what they want as they will need the big things like moses basket, cots,Monitor, car seats etc. and even though vouchers are nice you will remember who bought what for you. with DS my sister got the car seat for us, my parents the travel system(buggy etc) and PIL the changing table, my SIL the monitor etc etc . i would also let you BIL and his wife suggest and pick out what they want and you can buy ot for them. it will be a weight off their minds as well with all the initial costs of teh baby stuff.
Great advice ladies. I think I'll have a chat with them and see what they'd like to do. Thanks again!
upyaboyaa Posts: 819
Hi Snookie I would highly recommend the angel care baby monitor, if they havent already got one. My sons godfather bought it for us before my ds was born, hes into technical stuff. I found it absolutely brillant and im constantly recommending it to expectant mothers!
wwwife Posts: 948
[quote="upyaboyaa":1n0l7ghe]Hi Snookie I would highly recommend the angel care baby monitor, if they havent already got one. My sons godfather bought it for us before my ds was born, hes into technical stuff. I found it absolutely brillant and im constantly recommending it to expectant mothers![/quote:1n0l7ghe] +1
doone Posts: 503
just a thought from another post is the rocking / feeding chair, its something that we'd like but not essential so feel we shouldn't buy as there is so much else to be getting. But then some people love or hate them so i agree ask them would they like to pick the item but you could just give them some ideas of what you thought might be nice/ the price range your thinking of
Thanks again for all the help! Had a chat with them today and they decided they wanted us to buy the buggy which is perfect! Love the look of that monitor so may get one too. doone, thanks for the chair idea, really lovely but they already have one. :thnk