need your help!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

hugo087 Posts: 315
Hi Girls as you can see from my ticker im just over 20 wks, at the moment i work for a private company 3 days a week I used to work 5 days a week but as a result of the recession my days were cut!. Heres my question my self and my collague have a feeling that we could be let go in a few weeks, as im not in the place 2 yrs till february next i wont be entitled to redundncy money. Im just wondering where would I stand with regards to maternity benefits? could I start my maternity leave from when im let go or do you have to be a certain number of week gone?. or would I just have to start claiming social welfare and wont be entitled to my maternity benefit as I would not have been in employment for a certain number of weeks before my maternity leave starts?. Or would it be possible to get a sick note from the dr from when say I was let go up to when my maternity leave was supposed to commence?. Hope you can follow my long rant! Thanks Hugo087
bumble Posts: 1980
AFAIK you have to be in employment on the day you commence your maternity leave. But I assume if you are let go that your employer will have to give you notice. You can start your maternity leave early - i think it's from 24 weeks onwards....so if you are entitled to one months notice that would bring you up to your 24 weeks and you could start maternity leave from then. Unfortunately it does mean your maternity leave would be quite far along by the time your baby arrives but you could prob go on SW benefit once your mat leave expires as you'll have been made redundant. Maybe contact the Citizens Info for clarity on it though. If i was you i'd get my form filled out now for maternity benefit and maybe just leave the date off it...see if you can get your employer to sign it..but you cant get your GP to sign it until you are at least 24 weeks AFAIK.
Thanks Bumble you a world of knowledge! Im going to go home this evening and start filling out my maternity benefit form! Thanks again for your reply Hugo087
bumble Posts: 1980
It's awful to have to be in that situation. Just to mention also if your employer knows you are pg you might be safe, i know legally they can still make you redundant but a lot of them tip toe around pregnant women. My own job probably only still exists because of that...we've had huge redundancies in here and i reckon i've managed to escape the latest batch because i'm pg and they are scared of being accused of discrimination. Not by me as such but you know what i mean, the last pg woman here last year they were the same and when she was leaving they were extremely good to her.
Thanks Bumble
Gingham Posts: 3014
[quote="Bumble":ruo7cvex]It's awful to have to be in that situation. Just to mention also if your employer knows you are pg you might be safe, i know legally they can still make you redundant but a lot of them tip toe around pregnant women. My own job probably only still exists because of that...we've had huge redundancies in here and i reckon i've managed to escape the latest batch because i'm pg and they are scared of being accused of discrimination. Not by me as such but you know what i mean, the last pg woman here last year they were the same and when she was leaving they were extremely good to her.[/quote:ruo7cvex] have to agree with Bumble on this. My job is the same, very shaky at the moment...colleagues are getting moved, let go all around me but for some reason I have just been left in my job even though my job could easily be given to another area....i dont know how long it will last or if they have plans for me and i don't know whats around the next corner..everyday i fear being called in, its awful. I am just hanging in to get to the 24 weeks... i am 20 weeks now so not long to go and they would have to give me a months notice .....am trying not to worry until it happens but its hard.. It such a horrible situation to be in and It is one i never thought i would see myself in, I have worked full time for the last ten years and now when its my turn to start my family this happens.....grrrr seems unfair!!! fingers crossed for you Hugo.
Hi delourisly happy, I know exactly how you feel! Like you I have been working since I was 16 and I never thought I would be in this predicement. Its the not knowing part that really gets to me! My boss is always complaining about how hard it is to get money in! Once the 24wk mark comes at least then we can relax a bit, althought I dont really want to start my maternity leave that early as the last 16 wks will crawl otherwise! Ill say a prayer for the both of us that our jobs will be safe up until and when we go on maternity leave.
marriedLife Posts: 1881
Hi I worked for a company that did voluntary redundancy and my friend who was pregnant took it - but apparently there are loads of laws when making a pregnant woman redundant - once you are past 4 months if they make you redundant then they have to pay you your salary up until your maternity leave and then you are also entitled to state maternity (and the company one if they give it). If you are out on maternity leave when the redunancy happens then they have to wait until you returns to work to offically do it. So basically my friend was five months and got her wages for next few months plus her maternity benefit. My sister took redundacy a few years back while she was out on maternity leave and basically she completed her maternity leave as normal and then went back to work for one day and then she offically got the redundancy. Basically you are the safest you can be when pregnant