neighbours dogs

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

lila Posts: 982
Hello there Just need to vent a little! Our next door neighbour was 2 terriors who bark constantly as they are bored out of there tree. They are never walked and are just left to run around the small garden day in day out. They are well fed and watered so they are not neglected in any way but just starved of attention. We confronted our neighbour a few months ago about it as their barking was keeping us awake all night. They were fine and agreed that they were been driven nuts about them too and agreed to bring them in at night. Since then its been great at night as we can now get some sleep. However, once 7:30 am rolls around they are out in the garden again and they bark non stop all day until they are brought in at 10pm. This has been going on for a few months now and eventhough we are relieved that they are not barking anymore at night, its driving us mad in the evenings and at weekends when we are in the house. We decided to bring it up again with her but when I called in about it - she flipped asking me what I expected her to do about it and that she wasn't getting rid of them? I have to say I was quite upset about it and I really don't want to fall out with her but she slammed the door in my face. It took a lot for me to bring it up again as I hate confrontation but the incessent barking was driving me insane even when we sit down at mealtimes in the kitchen. Anyone else experience this? Any advice would be appreciated. Lila
Walking Bump Posts: 2095
That's horrible. People sometimes should not be let have dogs.
gerbil Posts: 3528
it's a bit of a dilemma all right. I would check out the local council rules on noise - but I suspect as it happens after 7am and not past 11pm you won;t get much joy. II suppose part of me sympathizes with the owner, If she took them in at night when requested she probably feels that she has been reasonable and that dogs are entitled to make noise during the day, although i agree a constantly barking dog is a pain. Maybe try again, but this time work out in advance exactly what it is you do want her to do? do you want her to get a vet to look at them or do you want her to undertake to walk them regularly? if you have a positive suggestion, she may not feel so frustrated...
thanks for the replies ladies. I'm going to let the dust settle for a few days I think. I don't want to fall out when them over it either but I feel that my sanity is really been tested at the moment. If I was a dog owner I'd be mortifed by their behaviour.
Loopy Loo Posts: 1774
We have HORRIFIC problems with dogs in our estate on a daily basis. We live in an apartment, but just across from us are "cosy" semi-detached houses. The houses themselves are lovely, but the gardens are TINY. In 4 of the 6 houses there are dogs, one terrier (or terror as he has come to be known), and the other 3 are fairly big dogs - labrador types. The gardens they are kept in are totally unsuitable, and from the second their owners leave for work in the morning they bark almost non-stop. I'm usually at work myself, so don't have to listen to it, but hubby works night shift quite often and it is horrendous - he gets NO sleep. To be honest, I wouldn't deny anyone a doggie or the right to have it in the garden, but I do think it's the responsibility of owners to ensure appropriate space and exercise for them. Only 1 of these 4 dogs is walked on a regular basis - the others, NEVER!!
gone elsewhere Posts: 1780
[quote="Loopy Loo":3d4fc5xc]We have HORRIFIC problems with dogs in our estate on a daily basis. We live in an apartment, but just across from us are "cosy" semi-detached houses. The houses themselves are lovely, but the gardens are TINY. In 4 of the 6 houses there are dogs, one terrier (or terror as he has come to be known), and the other 3 are fairly big dogs - labrador types. The gardens they are kept in are totally unsuitable, and from the second their owners leave for work in the morning they bark almost non-stop. I'm usually at work myself, so don't have to listen to it, but hubby works night shift quite often and it is horrendous - he gets NO sleep. To be honest, I wouldn't deny anyone a doggie or the right to have it in the garden, but I do think it's the responsibility of owners to ensure appropriate space and exercise for them. Only 1 of these 4 dogs is walked on a regular basis - the others, NEVER!![/quote:3d4fc5xc] I made this point over in Furry Friends recently when someone asked about getting a dog if you work full-time. I think it's cruel to leave an animal alone all day, particularly in the garden of a semi-d. I adore dogs and would dearly love to re-home a resuce animal myself but we both work full-time and there's no way I would do it for as long as those working hours continue. It's not a popular view. Some people are so fcuking selfish they just think 'I wanna dog, I wanna fluffy cute thing' and don't consider the fact that dogs are social animals and [i:3d4fc5xc]need[/i:3d4fc5xc] company.
Gonetopasturesgreener Posts: 3556
A dog never should be left on it's own all day long...No wonder the poor things are going crazy! They're in bits with the boredom...that sort of persistant barking is pure boredom. I would be at my wits end...I'd say get on to the local council to see where you stand. Poor little things - deserve so much better.
Debb2010 Posts: 831
Lois, you're dead right, its so unfair on the dogs. I'm like you, I would absolutely adore a dog, hubby loves them too but we're out of the house for almost 12 hours a day and would never be so cruel as to leave the poor thing on its own for so long. I reckon we'll be waiting til retirement before we can have one!
Sarahaha Posts: 22
The dogs just need some training to help them understand that their owners will come back eventually. The dogs think the barking brings the owners back. Maybe offer to have wipp round the estate and pay for the training, that should get them moving.
thanks for all the replies ladies. Sarahaha - I agree that the dogs do need training but I can't understand why you feel I and my other neighbours should pay for it? Surely its the owners reponsibility to learn to control their dogs - it was their choice to get the dogs in the first place. I'd love to won a dog but the simple reason is I don't think its fair on the dog to be left alone all day long while we are at work.