new baby wont stop crying

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

honeymoon baby Posts: 270
id be delighted with any advise , my 2 week old wont stop crying unless im breastfeeding him. he will literly feed for hours and any time i stop him or he stops himself 5 mins later he is screaming. this goes on all day by night he seems fine. i was combination feeding him but we taught it was the formula so now im just breast feeding the last 3 days. i have spent the last 2 days crying and snapping at everybody around me, i feel like i cant enjoy him when he is like this.
ohsotired Posts: 7071
New babies are hard work that's for sure - even more so if you're breastfeeding! I was clueless with DD at the start - was only saying to DH today that I think a lot of her crying at the beginning was down to not being winded properly after a feed and me not fully understanding that she could literally feed for hours on end. Have you tried winding him? DD has a lot of downward wind that expels itself during feeding but she would also have a lot of burps - before she arrived every class we took etc said BF babies don't get wind - wrong!!! HTH?
vonnyoc Posts: 2688
I agree with the winding, everyone told me too that you don't need to wind a bf baby it's so wrong. Is baby spitting up after feeds. My DS was diagnosed with reflux at 8 weeks he never stopped screaming after feeds
MrsMtoB Posts: 1212
I would also try winding, maybe if you're not getting anywhere you could try some infacol? The first 6 wks are the hardest of your life, it's totally normal, the baby will pretty much just sit and feed on you for that time which is great because the more they suck the more milk you supply and this 6wks is just the baby building up the milk so you make what they need. It's a really tough time especially when you are breastfeeding. I felt like a cow. I didnt enjoy the first 6 wks at all but after that things did get better. They will get better but right now you just need to follow the baby's lead and do what they want. Let everyone else do everything, you just sit and feed. Have a remote control and some nice snacks. You're doing great :)
Bigsurprise Posts: 961
Do you have a public health nurse you can call? I have found them great particularly with things like this.
Dee78 Posts: 263
first of all congrats on your new baby honeymoonbaby! I totally agree with the winding thing. Everyone told me BF babies don't need winding etc but that couldn't be further from the truth! DD had really bad wind which wasn't helped by a forceful letdown and reflux to boot!! She also had trouble getting wind up so we gave her infacol for a good few weeks.. hope things improve for you very soon, the first few weeks can be so tough, hang in there x
Silini2 Posts: 3834
I have to say I never understood it when people told me to enjoy my baby when dd1 was new... It was so so hard and tiring for the first few months. Don't be hard on yourself, it is tough. I breastfed both mine a f I def think they do get wind. He is also growing at a huge rate and is really hungry, needing to feed a lot. Have u tried a sling? He could also be very over tired. They need to sleep loads in the day. I'd invest in a good sling and pop him in when you've fed him and he's crying... Maybe try that???