New Born Baby Products

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

samcro Posts: 738
I've been told not to use any shampoo, bath bubbles or talcum powder on new borns - so just wondering what do you use instead? Are there any other products/items not to use on babies??
keyra Posts: 801
Ideally, you're not supposed to use baby wipes on new borns either. In the hospital we were told to use cotton wool and warm water and it worked fine.
[quote="keyra":9swuk8mq]Ideally, you're not supposed to use baby wipes on new borns either. In the hospital we were told to use cotton wool and warm water and it worked fine.[/quote:9swuk8mq] That was the only one I was aware of and I've stocked up on the Water Wipes for use when they're a bit older.
Salander Posts: 1639
J&J products tend to bring newborns out in rashes! i used aquaeus cream or silcocks base as a soap/wash for dd. just smush some on your hand or sponge and rub onto wet skin then rinse off. warm water and cotton wool for the bum. I found cotton wool rounds or pads much easier than balls or the roll of cotton wool - these tend to clump and leave little bits all over there bum!
Daff Posts: 11644
Their skin is so soft and delicate they really don't need much for the first while. We just used silcocks base. I had a bowl of cooled boiled water with some silcocks in it for nappy changes. If stuck when out would have extra sensitive wipes - and used them for the merconium, will do the same this time cause it's disgusting! But til DD was 6 months we used nothing else like baby bath, talc etc. We just put a little silcocks in the bath water. When we did start using other stuff I noticed her skin starting to get dry so we alternate now. I try to use the baby bath when she's really dirty - whish they aren't for first few months. It's only now she'll come back in from garden after eating dirt O:| The talc shouldn't be used cause it goes into their lungs. I only started using it when DD was about 9 months and it was winter and wanted to make sure that she was dried properly in all her creases cause of the cold. You'll save a fortune by not using all the products!
Anne Boleyn Posts: 709
The water wipes are BRILLIANT & a lifesaver- no faffing around with cooled boiled water & cotton wool. We have used Burt's Bees Baby Bee products from the very beginning & find them great. The one time when we were away & had to borrow J&J stuff, DD came out in a terrible rash which has only cleared up fully in the past week or so. Burt's Bees is excellent but a bit pricey, but definitely worth it IMO.
Thanks a million for your replies - I was always wary of using J&J products. We bought it for my DH's godson when he was born not realising how bad it was for their skin and it's still sitting in their baby's room 2yrs later :-8 :o0 oops! I must get a tub of the aqueous cream so - any difference between that and silcocks base?
Momof2 Posts: 3884
I've always used J&J /Infacare on DS until he got older (now use Sanex Kids) and he has perfect skin if I say so myself :-8 I've heard this a few times on here but I guess its like lots of choices we make down to personal preference. I don't think J&J would still be in business if their products caused such widespread irritation.
pixiebell Posts: 739
I got j&j products my sisters used them and have no probs....just wondering how long is a baby considered a new born for? :-8
BusyDee Posts: 8527
I was planning on using the water wipes from day one, will i have a fight on my hands with the midwives???