New job + pregnancy??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

peanutgirl Posts: 45
Hi girls, just looking for a bit of advice. Am about to apply for a new job and dont know whether to reveal that I'm pregnant or not to potential new employers? I was going to but lots have people have told me not to open my mouth about it? Dont know what to do as I dont want to come across as a sly b**ch if I do get job and then a bump starts to appear ?? Any ideas?
MidnightJasmine Posts: 238
Say nothing. If you are not showing, say nothing. Good luck with the interviews.
Daff Posts: 11644
Absolultely say nothing! It's illegal to ask in an interview anything about fmaily circumstances etc. You can bet it would go against you, so keep stchum and best of luck!
BrideinArmagh Posts: 102
100% agree with others - say absolutely nothing ..... they're not supposed to but some employers (unintentionally or on purpose) would discriminate ....
proud mamaof1 Posts: 825
I wouldn't say anything either, I hope it all goes well for you. I am in a similar situation. I had an interview and waiting to hear back. If lucky, its a maternity leave contract which could take me up to my own due date. As I am not showing either, I won't say be saying anything for the moment [url=http://www.pregnology.com/pregnancy/08/07/2011:25v7eo1i][img:25v7eo1i]http://www.pregnology.com/preggoticker2/996699/990033/My%20pregnancy/08/07/2011.png[/img:25v7eo1i][/url:25v7eo1i][url=http://www.pregnology.com:25v7eo1i]Make a pregnancy ticker[/url:25v7eo1i]
JourneyNo2 Posts: 220
Agree totally Say nothing - why give them the chance to discrimminate against you illegally. You are perfectly entitled to be considered for the job the same way as everyone else and with the best will in the world if you do tell them it may influence their decision when it absolutely should not. You are by no means whatsoever being sneaky by not saying anything - just think in the long term about this job - pregnancy is a relatively short term issue and yuo could have this job for many many years. Good Luck !
vanilla icecream Posts: 2125
Agree with the others - say nothing. Best of luck with the job
Babyboomerang Posts: 543
Peanutgirl, I'm not sure how far along you are but I agree with the others. I had a similar dilemma going on with my own job. I have to sign a contract in the next week or so (still in negotiation) and I haven't told my work that I'm PG. Maternity leave is a part of your contract and you are entitled to it by law, so don't feel like you are "breaking" a contract or not fulfilling it in some way. Best of luck with your interview.
tribesdoll Posts: 295
I was in a similar situation last year, and said absolutely nothing during the interview process. I was offered the job, and was planning on telling HR when I accepted it, however I miscarried around then so didn't need to tell them. I hear what you're saying about feeling sneaky... and as a people manager myself I'd prefer to know if someone new in the team was finishing for maternity leave in a few months. However you are better off being safe than sorry - unfortunately it could have a bearing on whether you get the job or not, so keep shtum! If you get the job, you can tell them on your first day...
peanutgirl Posts: 45
Thanks girls for all the wonderful replies! I feel more confident now going for interview! Im only seven weeks gone so not showing! Thanks again O:o)