New Laptop

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Tir na nog Posts: 740
I'm thinking of getting a new laptop in the next day or 2 as my computer is so slow and keeps freezing. Was planning on getting a laptop soon anyway, can anyone advise me on the best to get. I just want the basic stuff microsoft word, powerpoint, excel it's only for doing college work and some internet use. Also can anyone advise on good antivirsus as i'm sick of mcAfee and want to change, i'm so clueless with technology. budget for laptop is between €350-€450
Diamondz Posts: 2208
Can't advise on the laptop but microsoft do a pretty good free antivirus software now - think it is called security essentials? You can download it free from the website and it has all the same update features as mcafee etc....
Elphaba Posts: 741
AVG is free, you can download it online.
cabbagehead Posts: 3899
Tir na nOg, no advice for a new laptop, but a few things for your old one - is your current computer very full? With photos and movies etc I mean? If you got an external hard-drive and dumped all of that stuff onto it your computer might speed up a bit. Also, run Disk Defragmenter, it can free up some memory as well, especially if your computer is a few years old. Also, try and have a look into how many programmes are running on it - sometimes programmes like Adobe or RealPlayer start up in the background when you start up Windows, they take up the computer's memory so it can't focus on what you actually want to do. This sounds complicated, but it is dead easy. If you have Windows Vista or XP you can go into "msconfig" and just select what you want to start on start-up. Anti-virus - I'd recomment avast! It is free and it is brilliant, recommended by lots of computer nerd friends of mine. I have been using it for years and never had a problem.
LastRolo Posts: 6892
No matter what new laptop you get you'll have to buy Microsoft Office afterwards - so remember that when your buying that you'll have to spend another €70/80 afterwards. Look for a laptop with a dual core processor, so that it will be able to cope with different tasks at the same time. Definitely agree with cabbagehead - see if you can do anything with your current laptop!
I was thinking of taking my computer to a "computer doctor" just to restore it to factory settings. i have windows vista i was wondering if i would be able to this myself? I have nothing on it i want to save as all i use it for is internet and typing up projects etc just basic use. If i get it to speed up i'll wait until after christmas to buy a laptop as i want to get one anyway. Does anyone know what are the best makes to go with? or what are the basic things i should look for in a laptop (e.g RAM etc)
cabbagehead Posts: 3899
Hey Tir na nOg, Great advice there from Jastremskidpkw :o0 I'd agree with getting a dual core processor, they can help you handle loads of stuff at the same time. Get as much RAM as you can afford, that will help keep things zipping along nicely. I'd say stay away from ones with fancy graphics cards (expensive and overly-fancy if all you need the laptop for is work, not fancy computer games or graphic design). I really have no idea about brands though. Maybe go to a store like Peats or Dixons and have a chat with them?
LastRolo Posts: 6892
[quote="cabbagehead":18im32at] Great advice there from Jastremskidpkw :o0 [/quote:18im32at] :o0 Yeah definitely go with a much RAM as you can afford. If all your doing is internet browsing and Microsoft Word - anything will pretty much do. I know a cousin of mine got a great Toshiba in Argos a fortnight ago - Dual core processor, good processor speed, ram & HD memory - for €400 or something!
Thanks for the advice i'll try and restore factory settings on my pc and see if it speeds things up and i'll wait for the january sales to pick up a laptop.