New Mattress for 2nd Baby

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

bonita Posts: 1678
Just wondering, Ive seen a few posts about requiring new mattresses for 2nd baby. If a mattress is as new, was used for min period of time, has been aired etc... would you still get a new one for 2nd baby??? Is there any safety or health reason for this or is just a case that a new mattress is required iykwim?? Thank You :wv
wollysocks Posts: 1773
I never even considered this until I read your post. I don't intend to get a new mattress for baby no 2..I presume you mean cot mattress?...in my opinion, babies are very light ..it's not like the mattress should be worn after 1year-year and half of use....I wouldn't think a mattress need to be replaced after so short a time- my dd never got sick so it isn't as if the mattress is dirty or anything so definitely wont be replacing....I think as parents we are sometimes guilted into constantly buying this and that for our babies..things that are actually unnecessary- we live in a throw away culture which promotes constantly buying new things.....I think it would be madness of me to buy a new mattress...I am one of 4 and I am sure my parents didnt buy a new cot mattress for each of us and I dont think we are ant the worse for it....I imagine most families are the same....
Thanks Wollysocks, thats exactly how Im feeling, just wasnt sure was there some sort of safety reason. :thnk
Marvin Mole Posts: 1076
I've heard it mentioned on here aswell and was wondering the same ... our moses basket mattress was only used for 4 months, and DD was never sick it .. so was just intending to use the same one ..would be interested to know if there is any safety reason. Edited to add .. I just googled and found this .. [i:54x766ku]Do I need a new mattress for each baby? Two research studies carried out by the Scottish Cot Death Trust have shown an increased risk of cot death for babies sleeping on a mattress previously used by another baby. The risk was very small if the other baby was an older brother or sister in the same family but higher if the mattress was second-hand from another home. More research is continuing on this subject but meantime you may choose to avoid any potential risk by buying a new mattress. Otherwise, make sure the mattress is very clean, dry and in good condition. It’s best to choose one which is totally covered with plastic which can be easily be washed down. For more information about safe sleeping practices click here.[/i:54x766ku]
[quote="Marvin Mole":96as8hxh] Edited to add .. I just googled and found this .. [i:96as8hxh]Do I need a new mattress for each baby? Two research studies carried out by the Scottish Cot Death Trust have shown an increased risk of cot death for babies sleeping on a mattress previously used by another baby. The risk was very small if the other baby was an older brother or sister in the same family but higher if the mattress was second-hand from another home. More research is continuing on this subject but meantime you may choose to avoid any potential risk by buying a new mattress. Otherwise, make sure the mattress is very clean, dry and in good condition. It’s best to choose one which is totally covered with plastic which can be easily be washed down. For more information about safe sleeping practices click here.[/i:96as8hxh][/quote:96as8hxh] I googled too and some of the info does worry me too...but until I specifically googled the two terms together, I had never come across any advice like this except that the bedding be firm and clean.. In fact, regarding that specific research- the author of that research in Scotland admits that"There remains insufficient evidence to establish a cause and effect relation". Dr Richard Wilson, a paediatrician speaking on behalf of the Foundation for the Study of Infant Deaths, said: "Babies are safest sleeping on their backs on clean, firm, well-fitting mattresses. Mattresses with complete PVC, or removable washable covers are easiest to keep clean and there is no need for each baby to have a new mattress.The FSID said it did not matter what kind of mattress is used in a cot, or whether it was new.It added that larger studies had found nothing to suggest that every baby needs a new mattress. I read a bit more and it seems that the thinking behind the hypothesis is that stastically a first child is at less risk of cot death than a second or subsequent sibling- hence the idea of the mattress- for each survey you find to suggest this, there is a dozen others to refute it.... I was concerned though I have to admit reading that...I mean it is hard to know...but it is not recommended advice here at present... I think the reality is that nobody knows what causes cot death. As a result there are so many possible risk factors out there as possible causes. Being male( much higher incidence), smoking during pregnancy significantly increases the risk, single mothers apparently also more likely to have a baby with cot death, breastfeeding is supposed to give extra protection,as is using a pacifier, how you lie the baby down, bumpers on cots, toys in cots, there are so many other theories it is mind boggling... I mean what can you do- I didnt smoke,kept baby beside our bed for first 6 months, followed all Irish hospital advice, I breast-fed but didnt give a pacifier- was I putting my daughter at more risk?...I think you just have to do what you can...so I will still be using the same mattress again I think...
Marvin Mole Posts: 1076
Totally agree wollysocks .. all google advice to be taken with a massive dose of salt .. i only posted as an example of perhaps why its mentioned. I think for the sake of £16 I might get a new moses basket mattress. DD will still be in her cot so I need to get a whole new cot with mattress anyway.
[quote="Marvin Mole":yn8mefsy] I think for the sake of £16 I might get a new moses basket mattress. DD will still be in her cot so I ne[/quote:yn8mefsy] feck it- if that's all it costs - I might get new one too!! :o0 ...ahhh!!!even though I really don't see an issue- once the seed is planted it's very hard to forget it.... google is awful..you'd be up the walls sometimes..you start thinking and worrying and then some clever marketing by some company with something to sell and I'm hooked-...just in case....to be on the safe side etc.....:o0
ooo its so hard to know what to do, like you say now the seed has been planted. Although I do believe that my cot & crib mattresses are as new....
Winter B2B Posts: 3494
Smyths have mosses basket matresses for €15.