New Poor - children going hungry

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Little Miss Hopeful Posts: 1193
I just caught a snippet of this story on the radio over the weekend, basically this guy wrote to newspaper about his situation and they did a follow up story, so sad, can't believe this is happening in our country [url:4qx5w3g6]http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/letters/2011/0826/1224303002054.html[/url:4qx5w3g6] [url:4qx5w3g6]http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0827/1224303061191.html[/url:4qx5w3g6] This piece from the last article really really upset me [quote:4qx5w3g6]Speaking by phone yesterday from his home in Kerry, Mac Domhnaill explained what “tipping point” had led him to write the letter. “We have a running joke in our family: ‘What’s got more calories, the cereal, or the cereal box it’s in’?” On Wednesday evening, his wife noticed a large piece of cardboard had been torn off the box of the Lidl brand cornflakes that have become a mainstay of the family’s diet since Mac Domhnaill lost his part-time job in June. She discovered it in their seven-year-old daughter’s bedroom. Tiny scraps of the cardboard were in the bowls of a doll’s tea set. Their daughter had eaten the remainder of the missing piece.[/quote:4qx5w3g6] :o(
HippyChic Posts: 1812
Oh no, that is so sad :o(
lilywhite2012 Posts: 571
Its terrible, i read it myself in the Indo over the weekend, St Vincent De Paul were asking him to call them so they can help him out. Its hard to believe that people are living with hunger and are in such desperation. So sad. :weep
Milly83 Posts: 3620
He won't go to the bank? The bank are helping people in dire straits when they can't afford their mortgages. His children are eating cardboard and surviving on cereal? It's time to swallow his pride. That may seem harsh but he seems to be coming across that he will do everything he can to pay his mortgage and utilities. While that's admirable, his children are eating cardboard? Swallow the price and get to the bank and get more help!!! My parents had to do it and they got a year of reduced payments. He can too surely!
Smileykaz Posts: 7296
This is terribly sad and it's a reality for a lot of people around the country. However, there's nothing new about it. I know someone who was a social worker during the boom and regularly visited families where there was no electricity, no gas, filthy children, lice, no food in the fridge. Homes where the only meal the children got was at a breakfast club in their school. Even institutuions like the Vincent de Paul were never able to fully relax in the boom, there was still a huge demand for their services. Children go hungry in Ireland every single day and they've been hungry for a very long time. There is very real poverty here. It is of course a step above starvation and thankfully there are institutions who can help a little, but yes, very real poverty exists in Ireland. Nothing new about it.
tilsun Posts: 4506
I have been following this story and it seems this man has deliberately paid all his mortgage before other bills (without even speaking to the bank), not claimed all his entitlements as he does not want to be beholding to social welfare and has not gone to SVdeP as he is too proud. (if anyone has other info feel free to correct me) I have a lot of sympathy for his children as they should not have to suffer but he gets no sympathy from me. A single man can afford pride but a man or woman with children has to put their needs first. I acknowledge that there are very poor people out there and it must be heartbreaking, but I think this story is more an example of how if you are in financial trouble you should seek help ASAP
Terri1 Posts: 1158
[quote="tilsun":47vgujjv]I have been following this story and it seems this man has deliberately paid all his mortgage before other bills (without even speaking to the bank), not claimed all his entitlements as he does not want to be beholding to social welfare and has not gone to SVdeP as he is too proud. (if anyone has other info feel free to correct me) I have a lot of sympathy for his children as they should not have to suffer but he gets no sympathy from me. A single man can afford pride but a man or woman with children has to put their needs first. I acknowledge that there are very poor people out there and it must be heartbreaking, but I think this story is more an example of how if you are in financial trouble you should seek help ASAP[/quote:47vgujjv] So true. Plus I was wondering if he was full time in the Public Service how was he let go? I thought if you were in the PS you were there for life?
bobbyjoe Posts: 395
[quote="tilsun":lvsczm4w]I have been following this story and it seems this man has deliberately paid all his mortgage before other bills (without even speaking to the bank), not claimed all his entitlements as he does not want to be beholding to social welfare and has not gone to SVdeP as he is too proud. (if anyone has other info feel free to correct me) I have a lot of sympathy for his children as they should not have to suffer but he gets no sympathy from me. A single man can afford pride but a man or woman with children has to put their needs first. I acknowledge that there are very poor people out there and it must be heartbreaking, but I think this story is more an example of how if you are in financial trouble you should seek help ASAP[/quote:lvsczm4w] Very well said. My uncle worked with the SVP for years and i saw how discreet and understanding they are. this man has to swallow his pride for the sake of his children. I know this is not easy to do but we all hit hard times in our lives and people are more understanding of these things particularly in times like this.
Little Miss Hopeful Posts: 1193
Oh god I know the points about him paying the full mortgage and not trying to renegotiate with the bank and not going to SVP but I was just thinking of the poor children in situations like this. I remember Joe Duffy a couple of months ago and a mother rang in and said that their power was cut off and during the winter her and her children (they were really young children) would be in bed at 5:30/6:30 when it was dark as they had no light, or way of keeping warm. I know this is not a new thing but it is more widespread now.
ScarlettoHara Posts: 8442
Firstly, I dont get this at all. Pride stopped him from going to SVP but he is happy to have his name printed in a national newspaper??? Secondly, I have 2 children. I would crawl on my hands and knees over hot coals to anywhere if it ment my children would be well fed. I would rather take reduced payments and extend my mortgage and have well fed happy healthy children. Banks are crying out to help people.