New suggestions for baking

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Time For A Change Posts: 6885
As some of you know, I was on a baking spree on Saturday - my way of chilling out. We're trying to cut back on "bold stuff", so baking is not exactly helping. :-8 Do any of you have any "healthy" baking suggestions for me - or is there even such a thing! :o0 I'm calling on the likes of Smileykaz because you're always putting up photos of what you've made for dinner. That list of what you've made for the week sounded gorgeous! I like making muffins, but not your standard blueberry/chocolate kind, I make Jamie Olivers butternutsquash muffins. They are gorgeous, and they taste like carrot cake, they're very popular with the family - and neighbours :o0 . I'm fooling myself into thinking that they're not so bold - because there's a vegetable in them! :o0 :o0 Once I was way early for an appointment, so I popped into some coffee place for a coffee. They were advertising their special offer - a coffee and a bran muffin for whatever the price was. I don't know what possessed me buy the muffin, I thought it would be absolute rank - how wrong was I!!! It was absolutley gorgeous and can that be considered a healthy option too........ I guess they're the kind you hear the Americans having for breakfast. So c'mon wollies, who has any healthy options for me to bake. I know we should 1) cut that out completely or 2) go for something healthier but we both have a sweet tooth, and I've grown up in a family where there's always (homemade) dessert after dinner. I think the username will be sticking for a bit longer, if these bake-fests continue.......
CarolinaMoon Posts: 2431
I feel your pain with trying to be good :o0 I have just taken up baking recently and love it but now trying to really avoid it as doing so well eating wise. On a practical note I find that I bake and OH and I then have these lovely buns and we want to scoff them so that they don't go stale you see...........so now I freeze them and only take one out for when we really want one. For healthier options try mixing in blackberries to the mix - that way the batter is bulked up with fresh fruit and its just gorgeous.
[quote="CarolinaMoon":2lrn55f5]On a practical note I find that I bake and OH and I then have these lovely buns and we want to scoff them so that they don't go stale you see...........so now I freeze them and only take one out for when we really want one.[/quote:2lrn55f5] Never even thought of doing that!!! :duh: Thanks. I freeze bread, milk, dinners and soups, so why not buns......hmmm, I can feel another bun-baking evening coming on! :o0 Oh cr*p!! :yelrotflmaosmilie:
MissBid Posts: 587
Have a look at this: http://www.susanjanemurray.com/fuse/rec ... cipes.html
i want one Posts: 2893
i made lovely banana bran ones out of Anabel karmel book i think. dont have the thing with me now but it had branflakes and bananas so cant be too unhealthy as muffins go.
Snuffy Posts: 1492
I've a recipe for carrot and cranberry muffins. Not totally healthy but not the worst either. Also have a banana and courgette muffin recipe that I've yet to try.
[quote="i want one":bm0mf1ax]i made lovely banana bran ones out of Anabel karmel book i think. dont have the thing with me now but it had branflakes and bananas so cant be too unhealthy as muffins go.[/quote:bm0mf1ax] Mmmm, they sound quite nice actually, is Anabel Karmel the lady that wrote all those baby/toddler recipe books? Are those muffins easy to make? At least if there's bran in it, [b:bm0mf1ax]I[/b:bm0mf1ax]/we can't feel as guilty :-8
ott Posts: 3920
I made courgette, bacon and cheese wholemeal muffins yesterday. I'll post a photo later. They're so delicious. I had some for lunch today with salad. I froze what wasn't set aside for our lunches over the next couple of days. Let me know if you want the recipe I used (though it was really just a bit of this and a bit of that).
[quote="ott":g27n1pkt]I made courgette, bacon and cheese wholemeal muffins yesterday. I'll post a photo later. They're so delicious. I had some for lunch today with salad. I froze what wasn't set aside for our lunches over the next couple of days. Let me know if you want the recipe I used (though it was really just a bit of this and a bit of that).[/quote:g27n1pkt] Oooh they sound surprisingly tasty, which means I may just have to try them out! :) I'd love the receipe whenever you get a chance, no rush.
i want one Posts: 2893
if i can make them anyone can. i will post it up tomorrow for ya :o)ll