New suggestions for baking - Page 2

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

ott Posts: 3920
[quote="Wibbly Wobbly Wonder":2n3f1g2b][quote="ott":2n3f1g2b]I made courgette, bacon and cheese wholemeal muffins yesterday. I'll post a photo later. They're so delicious. I had some for lunch today with salad. I froze what wasn't set aside for our lunches over the next couple of days. Let me know if you want the recipe I used (though it was really just a bit of this and a bit of that).[/quote:2n3f1g2b] Oooh they sound surprisingly tasty, which means I may just have to try them out! :) I'd love the receipe whenever you get a chance, no rush.[/quote:2n3f1g2b] Here you go: [url:2n3f1g2b]http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Savoury-Muffins[/url:2n3f1g2b] I replaced one cup of plain flour with wholemeal. Then I added two grated courgettes, 1 large onion, 150g bacon, 100g white cheddar and 100g Parmesan (I'm not sure about the cheese quantities). I think I added more wholemeal flour then as the mixture was too wet (I suppose from the courgettes). Basically, you could add anything you have in the fridge that you think would taste nice. I've made them in the past with carrot which is always good. I made buttermilk scones too yesterday. They're much lighter and nicer than regular scones I find. That recipe is at home in a book, I can post that later if you want.
Time For A Change Posts: 6885
Thanks for all the suggestions ladies - looks like we're going to have muffins coming out of our ears!!! :o0 And I'm fine with that!! :o0 Do you think it's better or worse, to make muffins in regular cake cases, or to go with the bigger muffin cases - or even go the other way, those small cases? Would you be more tempted to eat more of the smaller ones - like the mini muffins you get in M&S?
BipsyBoo Posts: 1534
The Avoca banana bread recipe is a staple in our house. YUM! I don't put the pecans in it. Anyway, it's 8oz flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 1tsp cinnamon, 4oz caster sugar, 3 fl oz of sunflower oil, 1 egg, few drops of vanilla essence, 4 bananas....You put the flour, baking powder and cinnamon together and sieve into a bowl. Stir in the sugar. Mix in the sunflower oil, beaten egg, vanilla (just with a spoon not mixer) mash the bananas and fold into the mix and bung in a loaf tin lined with grease proof paper. Bake at 180 for around an hour. It's delish!
My nephews school printed up a cookbook, with recipes from teachers and pupils, to raise funds. Of course I bought one and you can see by the state of one page, which recipe is used the most :o0 It has the most gorgeous banana bread recipe, I'll dig it out when I get home, and post it. Do you think you can use these banana bread recipes, but put them into cake cases instead? I'm always trying to work out if cake mixtures can be put into cases, instead of cake tins, to make small versions?
dresstoimpress Posts: 1719
How about this yummy Carrot, raisin and honey cake 3 carrots 125g (4 oz) self-raising flour 125g (4 oz) wholemeal self-raising flour 1tsp baking powder 1tsp cinnamon 25g (1oz) brown sugar 85g (3 oz) honey 3 eggs 1tsp vanilla extract 125ml (4fl oz) sunflower oil 85g (3 oz) raisins 2-3tbsp milk [u:1anee7b6]Method[/u:1anee7b6] Pre-heat the oven to 170°C/325°F/gas 4. Line a 20 cm (8in) round cake tin with greaseproof paper and brush with a little oil. Peel and grate the carrots on a chopping board. Place the flours, baking powder, cinnamon and sugar in a bowl and mix together. Put the honey, eggs, vanilla, and oil in a separate bowl and mix together with a whisk or fork. Add to the flour mixture and mix well. Stir in the grated carrots and raisins with a metal spoon. Add a little milk to give a fairly soft consistency. Spoon the cake mixture into the lined tin. Bake for about 1hr. Check that the cake is done by inserting a skewer or knife into the centre. It should come out clean. Leave the cake to cool in the tin for 10 mins, then loosen the sides and turn out on to a wire rack. Remove the lining paper and leave to cool. Or I love Honey apple crumble, especially when its so bad outside. Its easy just use honey instead of sugar, and use loads of oats and nuts in your crumble
ott Posts: 3920
dresstoimpress, that sounds delicious! I love carrot cake but I don't like nuts and most contain walnuts. I'm going to make that cake this evening I think! :o)ll Thank you!
dresstoimpress Posts: 1719
[quote="ott":21wplkrh]dresstoimpress, that sounds delicious! I love carrot cake but I don't like nuts and most contain walnuts. I'm going to make that cake this evening I think! :o)ll Thank you![/quote:21wplkrh] No prob, let me know how you get on! I love it!
Rocksie80 Posts: 4045
WWW- saw this today and thought of you!
Well bang goes that diet!!!! :duh: :o0 Some of them look gorgeous - especially the second ones! Thanks a million, I'm off to buy some new trousers and skirts with elasticated waistbands!!! :yelrotflmaosmilie: :yelrotflmaosmilie:
Rocksie80 Posts: 4045
My bad!