New York for thanksgiving

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Bluebear Posts: 1594
Am I mad?? Have been several times before but considering a long weekend in NYC with my Mum. This is the only weekend that suits us both so just wondering if anyone has any experience of New York at this time? It'll be my Mums first trip & I want her to enjoy it rather than a weekend of queuing, pushing & shoving (have images of frenzied sales shoppers)! I've been to NY in December & while it's been busy it didn't interfere with our shopping/ sightseeing etc. Flight arrives in on thanksgiving day- anyone know if it will be difficult to get taxi's, dinner reservations etc?? Any feedback appreciated!
Mari yay Posts: 4045
We were there last year for Thanksgiving on HM, I was full sure that half the place would be closed...not so!! Was just like any other day! Some of the shops in Times Square were closed until after the parade (we were in TImes Square to watch the parade), but they open as soon as the last float goes by. Since you're only arriving that day you should be grand, we usually get a car service from the airport because it's similar enough price to the taxi and they will collect you at the gate or kerbside. It was cold enough, but if you were there in December you'll be well prepared for that! Dinner reservations, I'm not too sure about but if you're staying in a hotel maybe contact them and they will help you. We didn't find the shops too busy but we didn't go on Black Friday, but I'd say if you go later, as in not first thing in the morning you might be ok. Were you planning on shopping in the city or the outlets on Black Friday?
Bluebear Posts: 1594
Thanks for reply Mari yay- was planning on just shopping around the city as tbh found there were as many bargains to be found there as in the outlet stores. After a couple of trips to New York we got over the whole fascination of outlet stores and 'oh tommy jumpers $20 so must buy ten buzz' :o0 Great idea bout the car from airport- did you find the company online?
Mari yay Posts: 4045
Yep, been to NY a few times and always use this company. It's a bit more if they meet you at the gate, but the will meet you kerbside as well which is just as easy. You give them your flight number and they will be watching your flight to see what time you arrive. Just in case ye want to do sightseeing on the Thanksgiving I think the bus tours are closed. Wasn't down around Macy's so not sure if they are open, but a google search will help.