Newbie 24 - positive birth story!!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

newbie24 Posts: 530
Well, I'm now home for 3 hours with my beautiful baby boy Oscar and I'm just besotted with him...!!! Thanks for all your messages girls...here's how it all went.. (get yourselves a cuppa tea, it's a LONG post!!!) Well, as you know, I was praying I'd go early and on Sunday afternoon at 5.25pm - during the Man utd football match, daddy wasn't happy as he's a Liverpool fan and hates Utd!!! - but anyway.... had this one mild period like pain in my back and didn't think that much of it, but thought, oh, maybe??! Anyway, at 5.45 another one......5.55 another one, so thought I'd tell my other half and that was it... we decided to make the Changing Unit - always a good idea to keep yourself amused! - so up to the nursery we went with a notepad, stop watch and the birthing ball...... very very managable pain now I have to say, I was chatting all the way through them, just noting them all down and that was that.... anyway, the longest one I had was 25 minutes of a gap and then got to 10 minute spells quick enough, so at 11pm we called the hospital for some advise on whether we should come in or not and she said to wait until they were 5 mins apart and i'd had maybe 5 of them seeing as I was coping ok.... So, I jumped into the shower and washed my hair etc, put some makeup on, dried hair (as you can see, I'm still doing just fine thinking I was having 'fake' labour!!), we made eggs on toast and a banana sandwich, packed the car and then I had a 'show'.... so the contractions we're now 4 mins apart and it was midnight, so we decided that, even though I was ok, maybe we should be going in!!!! Arrived in Holles street at 1.40am, had two contractions before we were admitted and was so pleased that I was doing ok! Then was checked by a midwife who said heart beat was fine, head is engaged but I'm not even a cm yet!!!!!!!!!!! :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek Contractions every 4 mins and now dilations - WHAT!?!!?? Well I thought they were going to send me home, but she said no chance, it's nearly 2am now and you'll be in with me from 4am I think, so I'm sending you to Unit 3 and see how you get on there, so that was a good sign so off I went - happy out! Walked and walked the corridors, refused to sit down, had a wonderful shower and had ALOT of contractions, they were now 2 mins apart so asked to be checked again and they said I was now 3 cms and was going to the delivery suite if i needed pain relief - and at this time i thought, yep now I think i need to try the gas and air so off I went.... still walking, but stopping to hug the wall a fair bit on the way! :o0 :o0 :o0 It's now 6am and I'm in the delivery suite 8 with two wonderful midwives and they confirm I'm 3cms and show me how to use the gas and air... now they were pushing for me to have my waters broken, but I was against this...... said I wanted to wait for 20 minutes to see how I went and they said ok but I'd need to go on my back for a trace, now this is my one tip.....DON'T go on your back!!! pain was SAVAGE!!! I couldn't cope at all and it was during an internal, during a contraction and on my back that I thought 'oh lord this is going to be a long night!' but they stopped the internal until the contraction finished....I sat forward and my waters went, horrah I thought!!!!! so I was able to then walk around again and now I was thinking, JESUS I CAN'T DO THIS.... boyfriend was great and helped immensely, very positive and encouraging and asked me if I wanted to ask for an epidural, again I didn't want it in my plan but then thought, I have to, I'm only 3cms!!! So he asked the midwife for one, she said no problem and then a MASSIVE gush and I was swimming in the remaining waters - it was like a fire hose!! :eek :o0 It's now 6.38, I'd been in the delivery room for 38 minutes and I just HAD to push..... no messing, contractions were constant now and no break and the pressure was unreal, it was in my back and bum too, I thought I was going to poo everywhere! :-8 :-8 :-8 Midwife said I need to check you love, your too uncomfortable for 3 cms and I was crowning !!! the head was there! I'd gone from 3cms to crowning in 37 minutes!!!! So I got onto the bed on all fours, was told in the next contraction to push and make no sound and to listen to when I was told to stop and pant and under no terms am I to push or I'll tear... did everything I was told and two pushes his little head came out and he started to cry and then I was told one more push and the shoulders came out and I was looking at him - all purple and screaming and wonderful !!!!!!!!!! it was now 6.58am and I was done! Placenta came out by 7.05 and that was me done. Quick or what?! Feel very lucky girls, I really do. No stitches, no tearing, nothing...... !! And remember how I was told SEVERAL times I was having a HUGE baby?!?!? 7lbs 4ozs is totally normal, so if anyone has been told they are having a big one and they are scared, don't take any notice.... I was getting into a right panic about it before I went into labour....... So I'm home today- Oscar is perfect.... I am breastfeeding and it is abit sore, but it's not as bad so far as I thought so fingers crossed I can manage it and it's ok. He now weighs 6lbs 13oz so has lost abit of weight, so I need to force feed him abit now they said and get him re-weighed in Holles street on Friday.... But it's magical..... I'm still on cloud nine, he's just perfect........ Still look 5 months pregnant, but feck it like!!!! :o0 :o0 :o0 Best of luck to you all and will log on again shortly, the little sparrow is crying for some boob!!! Sorry it's a long post !!!!! Newbie and Oscar xxxxxx
Mama2 Posts: 1230
Fantastic post! Congratulations.
mrs mammy Posts: 1487
:o)ll What a lovely story Newbie!! Congratulations again and well done! O-O
brunette Posts: 234
Ah congrats to you all. :thnk Absolutely love hearing these positive birth stories. Id love if that happened to me.
Joleigh Posts: 4242
OMG I filled up reading that! Congratulations Mammy. I hope my delivery is as good as yours. Did you deliver the baby with you on all fours (like a crawling position?). You must be so happy to have it all done and be home with your little buddy. So cute, congrats again xxx PS: Did you get the epidural in the end???
Moet for me Posts: 1841
Congrats to you both sounds brilliant
Joleigh Posts: 4242
Oh Mrs Happy, 3 days to go, good luck!
micksmrs Posts: 931
Congrats to you and welcome to baby Oscar. Delighted all went well for you :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll
MomToEmandJ Posts: 1977
that is wonderful news newbie, so glad you had a good experience enjoy every min with baby oscar :xox
Mammyof2Princesses Posts: 3745
Congratulations on your little man!! :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll Your experience sounds brilliant! Presume you didnt have time for the epidural in the end? We've been told we've a big baby on board (5 and a 1/4lbs at scan on monday :eek ) so find it very interesting you had a "normal" sized babs! Thanks again for sharing! :thnk