newbie question

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mrsjordan Posts: 241
hi girls, i just got a BFP this morning, so i'm trilled. :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll I just have a couple of questions. I came off the pill in May and my 1st cycle was 32 days and the 2nd cycle was 31 days. Then my last AF started the 4th of July, i was sick twice in July and i didn't ovulate until CD38 (10 Aug) and i did a HPT this morning and got a BFP (14DPO). So my question is if i conceived 2 weeks ago but my cycle started on the 4th of July does that mean that the doctor will say that i'm 7 weeks or 2 weeks?? I hope this isn't a really silly question :-8 Should i just go to the doctor or is it too early?
raspberry ripple Posts: 1809
Congratulations on your BFP :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll My cycle was also long, and initially, the doctor went by the LMP (date of last menstrual period). I was adamant however, that I had a long cycle and knew the date I had ovulated/conceived and made sure this was noted too. My dates were confirmed at my first scan (mine were right). We waited about a week after BFP to go to the doc, as some people get a BFN on doc's tests - they are sometimes not as sensitive and I didn't want that to happen!
milis Posts: 7998
Congrates :o)ll Your doctor will probably take it from your last AF, which would be 7 weeks, but you are more likely to come at at 4 weeks (you count the 2 weeks before Ov too). So basically, the doctor will tell you you are 7 weeks, and until your first scan you'll be following that, then at the first scan they'll tell you that baby is 3 weeks behind that... and probably worry the hell out of you, but you know it's meant to be that size. Some doctors may take your Ov date, others laugh at the idea of temping ;o( as they just don't fully understand it! Not too early to go to the doctor at 14 DPO, just bring your first morning urine with you, as the pregnancy hormone may not be picked up by your doctors test with a more diluted urine.
Maria1983 Posts: 390
You start counting from the first day of your last period.
mrsjordan Posts: 241
Thanks girls, good to hear that a scan will tell how many weeks i am. Thought it is soley on cycle dates :thnk