Newborn doesn't like Moses basket

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

isabella123 Posts: 175
Anyone else have trouble with baby not liking Moses basket? After a feed we try to settle him in Moses basket but he hates it. And just wants to be cuddled! Which is totally understandable as he's so new but it's not going to be ideal when hubby goes back to work! Anyone else have this problem and what did you do?!
lovelycuppatea Posts: 481
How old is your baby Isabella? I'd say just give it time. Lots of newborns just want to be held when they're really tiny. If you try again in a few days it might be easier. For the daytime maybe you could try a sling. My fella would only nap in the sling by day for about the first 6 weeks, now at 3 months he sleeps in his cot for most naps. Don't worry, he'll take to it eventually ;)
Thanks lovelycuppatea. He's only 4 days! I have some family members and one midwife telling me to let him cry it out or he'll be in bad habits etc but he is only four days and I couldn't do it to him. I must look into getting a sling. Great idea. How long was it before your baby would settle in it? And did you do anything in particular?
delighted2011 Posts: 49
Oh my goodness, 4 days old and you're being told to let your poor baby cry it out :o( Don't mind any of them - at 4 days old your baby is NOT being manipulative and you are NOT going to spoil the baby by picking him up and responding to his needs - that's your job. Maybe he might have more needs than other babies that they have seen, but they are NEEDS at this stage, and not 'wants'. All babies are soooooo different, some settle straight away, some take a few weeks, some will never settle in a moses basket or a cot and will only sleep when co-sleeping - that's where the old 'trial and error' comes in and you see what suits your baby and when. What suits them this week may not suit them next week :) Have you tried swaddling the baby - some of them like the feeling of it and it helps them feel safe and secure in the moses basket - some of them don't like it at all. Best of luck, and trust your instincts - picking the baby up will NOT lead to it being clingy and spoilt - responding to their needs leads to less anxiety for them and a more settled baby at this stage xxx
mamime Posts: 791
I agree, I wouldn't let them cio at this stage either! my ds is 3 weeks old and i had a similar problem to you a few days after being home from hospital. At first it seemed he took to the basket straight away, but then he started to cry every time he was put into it. He only sleeps there at night and i wondered is it a fear of the dark or maybe a fussy time and not the basket at all. I am still working on it, but pick him and re settle him rather than cio. I couldn't do it to him, although i am all for sleep training when baby is older. My dd was always lifted and comforted too until she learned to sleep through the night, 6hrs at around 3 months. She was, as some might see it, "spoilt", but it didn't do her any harm and by 10months she was sleeping 12hr nights and still does now. I believe you should follow your instincts and respond to a newborns needs. If they cry they need something, even if its reassurance that mammy is there. If he needs lifting and comforting do it. At night (basket hours!) when my ds wakes I would feed him, change him and give him a top up (im breastfeeding) and then lay him down as he is usually sleepy. When he isn't i talk to him or rock him, sing to him etc. He then starts to drift off to my boring conversations ;) Then its into his basket. If he doesn't settle in his basket i lift him again and rock a little til he is sleepy again, usually over my shoulder as any wind will come up then too, then its back in the basket. This can happen a few times and if he reeeally isn't settling i try give some more milk. Then he has always settled into the basket. Hope that might help you.
Wispa Posts: 397
Ds was like this. Think he was afraid we were leaving him to the wolves every time we put him down. Every thing is so new for them at this stage, its understandable that they need lots of cuddles. What we found useful was -sling -putting ds in pram and rocking it back and forth over the door jam -co-sleeping -bringing him for a drive, parking up but leaving the engine running, sit in car and have a snooze. -go to the loo, get plenty of snacks and get comfy on the couch with the baby and the tv and dvd remote Its tough going, but this stage doesn't last for long
Thanks for all the advice. It's tough going and the baby blues aren't helping! My ds falls asleep when BF then when I put him into the basket he wakes and then straight away is rooting to be fed. It's like he can't get enough milk. Have any of you tried a soother?
lovelycuppatea Posts: 481
Oh Isabella, we've all been there! Well I definitely was anyway! Do a search and you'll see all my crazy tormented posts ;) The baby blues are a killer but you'll get past this I promise! My fella is 3 months now and yes we still have tough moments but they are moments and the rest of the time he's an absolute joy! I'm breastfeeding and I gave DS a soother before we even left hospital. Have plenty of friends who did the same. Didn't do any harm and it helps him settle. Try the swaddling too, we found it great for the first few weeks. Don't worry about bad habits for at least the first 3 months. Do whatever it takes to maximise your sleep and sanity! The breastfeeding can feel like nonstop at the beginning but it will settle. He'll get into a little rhythm soon and it'll all be much better. D
Wispa Posts: 397
Ds was like this, used to fall asleep on the boob but as soon as I'd take him off he would wake and start looking for it again! Definitely give a soother a go, it will help give you a break. Babies suck for comfort as well as food. Unfortunately ds was having none of the soother even though I tried a few different types.
mamime Posts: 791
I second the soother! My ds has a soother since he was out of hospital too. Hang in there, i'm in the same boat atm too. When feeding i would suggest rubbing his cheek to stimulate him and try to stop him falling asleep.. also try making him cooler, lose the blankets when he is on the boob and even take his feet out of the babygrow mid feed to keep him awake. My ds constantly roots. If i feel he has drunk enough i put in the dodo. If he hasn't he is awake in 2hrs anyway ;) If he has he sleeps longer! Just don't use the dodo to get more sleep etc. You do have to watch baby and try figure out what he is looking for.. easier said than done of course..