Nice soup recipes

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Mrs. Allie Posts: 275
Evening ladies, just wondering does anyone have any nice soup recipes? Hubby has just developed a passion for irish soup and i haven't one recipe :shock: Anyone got any suggestions?? cheers ladies Allie
Hepburn Posts: 4081
Not Irish allie but this is a great winter warmer: 1 litre of stock. 4-5 carrots, 1 butternut squash, 1 red pepper, 1 onion, half a pack of fresh coriander, 2 cloves of garlic, 1 small tin of coconut milk. I also use a red chilli finely chopped, which makes it quite spicy. Its yum!
Mrs Neadi* Posts: 1128
i make this soup a lot during winter. you can basically fire any veg you like into it but i normally would use this; 1 carrot, 1 parsnip, handful sweetcorn, handful brocolli, 1 red/yellow pepper, 3 leeks, 5 sticks celery, 2 potatoes, 2 garlic cloves, any other veg lying around the fridge fry them all off first to soften half fill the pot with stock and water and boil till softened. blend thouroghly. i spoon in a wee bit of cream too at the end. don't forget - bouquet garni, salt and pepper, and sometimes the tiniest bit of curry or chilli powder for a kick. variation - throw 2 chopped chicken breasts in with the veg and blend together.
Mrs Curly Posts: 499
A very easy soup - 4/5 carrots, 1/2 parsnips, an onion or a leek, enough water to cover them, a clove or two of garlic, salt and pepper and grated ginger to taste (usually a lot in mine). Bring to the boil, simmer until soft, blend, put back on the heat and add a little cream. I usually freeze it in batches and only add the cream when I'm reheating it. Lovely with fresh crusty white bread and butter or still warm malt brown bread and butter. Oh, just thought of another - using left over Christmas ham if possible! Sauté a carrot cut in small cubes, a chopped onion, a sliced stick of celery, and any other random veg you fancy (frozen peas work well), add diced left over cooked ham (or for spice - some sliced green-pepper salami and chorizo). Add two tins of chopped plum tomatoes, a tin of tomato puree and water to your preferred consistency. (I like it fairly solid) Add a handful of macaroni and a small tin of kidney beans. Flavour with a good pinch of paprika, basil and oregano. Kind of an Irish take on minestrone! You can tell Mr Allie we invented it over here first!
Yum, thanks gals. [/quote]Kind of an Irish take on minestrone! You can tell Mr Allie we invented it over here first![quote:1dxwntrw] ha ha ha i'll try that curly![/quote:1dxwntrw]
Wembley Posts: 43
I make a lovely courgette soup.... it sounds awful but it's absolutely gorgeous and practically fat free! It's very easy - veg stock, a couple of courgettes and then melt 2 triangles of Laughing Cow Light into it - slap it in the blender and HEY PRESTO! Seriously... it's yummy! I haven't told my H2B that it's so low in fat - it would automatically turn him off it if he knew, but he loves it too!!!
scotswedding Posts: 2829
I'm all for bunging anything and everything into a pot and boiling the bejesus out of it....loads of carrots, parsnips, onions, leeks, celery, turnip, cabbage,potato or two and anything else you can get your hands on. Drain the water off and keep it and liquidise all the veg. [You can divide this into containers then and freeze it as you don't need too much to make a decent size pan]. Then fry a grated carrot, onion & a stick of celery choped really really finely. Add plenty of seasoning and add it, a couple of chicken or beef stockcubes and the water from the veg to the veg stock. Lovely!!
MrsBobbie Posts: 21
Hi Mrs Allie you could try on www.foodireland.com they have some nice recipies on there. HTH
Thanks Mrs Bobbie, I'll have my printer running all evening now!
Grainne20 Posts: 835
Thanks Mrs Allie, I love soup and have gotten some great ideas from the girls here!!! I like a potato soup - it so easy and delicious. Peel potatoes, quater them, barely cover with water, boil until water is almost gone then add milk (or cream if you want to be very badly behaved), and then add 3 tbsp of butter and one can of chicken broth. Stir until thickened (if it gets too thisk and you prefer a thinner soup you can add water). Eat with grated chedder cheese on top!!! Yummmyy!!!!!