No Mixed Marriages in my Church

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

princess tinkerbelle Posts: 811
Found out recently that our parish priest does not allow mixed marriages in our church. This is not a huge problem, as we can just get married in another church nearby (although I would have preferred to get married in my own parish church). However, I know that usually when you get married in a church that's not your parish church, you need to supply your own priest. What will we do? I presume that if the priest doesn't allow mixed weddings in the parish church, then he's not going to travel to perform a marriage ceremony in another church. I do not know any other priest that could perform the ceremony. I am Catholic and OH is Protestant, but we are agreed on a Catholic ceremony, providing we can provide a priest!! Do not want a civil ceremony. Does anyone have any ideas? (Posted in Legal and Religious but also posted here for more responses)
spanishbride08 Posts: 413
Is this other church in the same parish as the first one? If so, that priest obviously would have a say over the marriages there too. Why don't you ring the Bishops office and explain the situation to them. As far as I know, there isn't normally a problem with a mixed marriage in a catholic church ... so it looks like it's a problem for this priest in particular. This is from in the FAQ section: [quote:3vjhmy0h]Q. My fiance is baptised but is not a Catholic and I am: can we get married in my Parish Church? A. Yes, you may get married in your parish church provided the necessary paperwork is in order, as in completion of the pre-nuptial enquiry form, including the mixed marriage section. This is done in conjunction with your local priest. If your fiance is not baptised, you must get a dispensation from your local bishop in order to marry in the Catholic Church. [/quote:3vjhmy0h]
Trillian Posts: 1685
Have you spoken to the priest yourself? (Not to make you sound like a fool). It seems a bit harsh, I thought they'd relaxed a lot on that kind of thing.
The other church we are thinking of is in a nearby parish, but not the same one. The parish prest is renowned for being difficult and has put a blanket ban on mixed marriages in our church, weddings during Christmas week and in a few other instances. I think most churches are more relaxed nowadays, we're just unlucky!
milis Posts: 7998
Is h2b from the same parish as you? If not you could try his parish.
No, unfortunately h2b is from UK so that's not an option O:|