Non Bible Reading

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

sapphirebride Posts: 129
Hello, My H2B and I are putting our cermony together at the moment and we asked our readers to choose their reading for the mass. H2B gran has chosen 2. One is corinthains and the other is a passage from a book called prophet. what are the rules in the catholic church with regard non bible readings? :wv
Twirler Posts: 1644
It depends on the priest, some will allow non-religious readings in the church. I think most of them would prefer that you did something like that as a reflection after communion or somewhere like that, rather than in place of a reading.
sisterbliss Posts: 82
Hi, We just went through our booklet with the priest on Sat and he made us change the order of them - apparently the rule is that the first reading should be from the Old Testament and the second one from the New Testament. Could depend on how fussy your priest is though!! *)
frillynickers Posts: 1765
your right there, tere must be a reading from both books, what you could do is have a poem or something similar read after communion, theres a lovely one by ee cummings which is nice. I Carry Your Heart by E. E. Cummings I carry your heart with me (I carry it in my heart) I am never without it Anywhere I go you go, my dear; and whatever is done By only me, is your doing, my darling. I fear no fate (for you are my fate, my sweet) I want no world (for beautiful you are my world, my true) And it's you are whatever a moon has always meant And whatever a sun will always sing is you Here is the deepest secret nobody knows (Here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud And the sky of the sky of a tree called life; which grows Higher than soul can hope or mind can hide) And this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart I carry your heart (I carry it in my heart)
sapphirebride Posts: 129
Hi girls, thanks a mill for the help, feel terrible going back to H2B gran to ask her to choose a different reading but I may just have to :o( I may ring my priest first and ask him is he ok with it. thanks again
chocbiscuitcake Posts: 658
I'm afraid you really don't have a lot of chance. The readings are not merely just readings, they are part of the Liturgy of the Word, which has a very strict format (this is the case even if you are having the sacrament of marriage without full Mass - the Liturgy of the Word must obey the rules). Check out www.gettingmarried.ie for info on Catholic ceremony - it says "Only scripture texts are included in the Liturgy of the Word" and also "However, you might have a piece of poetry or other text that you want included in the ceremony. Discuss some of the possibilities with your priest. It could be read after communion, included by the priest in his homily or put at the back of the booklet." So unfortunately I don't think you will be permitted a non-scripture reading in the liturgy of the Word. I'm sure your granny won't mind at all once you explain it to her - either she can do the reading at another part of the ceremony if your priest agrees, or she can read a scripture reading during the Liturgy of the Word.