Non-English speakers in tennis

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Terri1 Posts: 1158
Just watched Roger Federer beating Andy Murray in the Australian Open and listening to Boris Becker speaking about it...his English is just amazing. Roger's English is brilliant...they've all the slang words and idioms. And all the other non-English speakers seem to be the same...I know most of these tennis players spend a lot of time in American in training camps but still!! I just think we Irish are so bad when it comes to speaking other languages...what do you think? I'd love to speak Spanish...but know even if i learned it, I'd be too embarrassed to try speak it in Spain! :duh: :duh:
BusyDee Posts: 8527
We're spoilt because we speak english! We know we will get by - that someone will know a bit of english no matter where we go in the world so we dont bother. Id love to learn another language too even though I hated languages in school esp German - prob coz I hated my teacher! But now I think I would pick it up fairly quick.
SpringChicken Posts: 666
A continental [i:2k4gkxn9]joke[/i:2k4gkxn9] - What do you call someone who speaks 3 languages - trilingual. What do you call someone who speaks 2 languages - bilingual. What do you call someone who speaks 1 language - english! I think when irish people bother to learn another language we're very good at it because we've a good understanding of grammar. I've loads of multilingual friends and it's a great skill to have. Wish I'd paid better attention at school!