non traditional way of getting married!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

helpineedsomebody Posts: 2
hi ladies, im so confused about where to have our wedding. im not interested in traditional hotel/country house venues and to be honest trying to save for a house deposit so cant afford them either (not immediately anyway and really want to get married this year/early next year). we've been engaged for a few months now. i was thinking maybe having a immediate family only at registry office with a dinner (for around 20) and then have a party afterwards for about 130. but trying to think where. i like the idea of a private members club, maybe odessa? (is it to xmas party-ish? i do love upstairs and it has a smoking area, a major plus). i also saw the residence on the green (anyone know anything about it?) am i being cheap inviting 130 to a party only (of course will provide platters/canapes and some champers) would it be too 21st/30th birthday-ish? will i regret not having the huge day! so confused :-8 :-8
Ilovetoast Posts: 2267
Doesnt sound cheap at all.. A lot of people are doing things this way... Try the Ardenode house.
I Dream in Disney Posts: 1592
Any ideas of areas? Just Dub or would you want to go further? Doesn't sound cheap at all btw.
Smileykaz Posts: 7296
Have the wedding you want. That's all the advice I can give you. I know that's no help really! But look - it's your day, only you know what you want. Don't think about what your guests will think, have the day you want. We had the big traditional white wedding, in a church and a hotel, loads of people invited. This was because this was what we wanted. Not to please our parents or because we thought that we 'had' to get married in that way, but very simply because we wanted it. We wanted all the fuss all the frills all the extras, all the tacky shi*te that goes with weddings, we wanted it all. And so we saved for it and had it. I've been to loads of weddings over the past 3-4 years - some the traditional white wedding, some in a registry office with a lovely dinner after, some a buffet, some just immediate family for the ceremony and then everyone else to a party afterward. And you know what? ALL of them were gorgeous. All of them were weddings. We enjoyed ourselves at all of them. I don't know if you'll regret not having the 'big day' but I know you WILL regret having a day that you didn't really want. So have a think about what would really float your boat and do that. You will have a ball, regardless of whether it's in a hotel or in a tent in a field, or on the surface of the moon! Personally I think an intimate ceremony and dinner with immediate family followed by a good old knees up with platters and bubbly sounds WONDERFUL and would be a lovely wedding. And no less of a wedding than any other wedding. And Odessa is lovely. Their French Toast in their brunch is gorgeous.....and now I want French Toast! Good luck with your decision!
Rogue User Posts: 6101
Hey I am having my whole wedding at a Rugby Club and I def don't think I'm being cheap! We're having a BBQ there. The whole hotel thing just didn't appeal to myself and OH. We love the free reign we have at the rugby club. The manager is so laid back and is happy to accommodate any ideas we have. We are having an 80s theme and decorating the place ourselves. We wanted cheese and crackers served at the champagne reception, and the rugby club chef said he'd source for us, lots of little things like that. We'll have the place to ourselves and the building is so modern, I just love it.
vidia Posts: 2960
[quote="BrideOfRecession":23f33mer]Hey I am having my whole wedding at a Rugby Club and I def don't think I'm being cheap! We're having a BBQ there. The whole hotel thing just didn't appeal to myself and OH. We love the free reign we have at the rugby club. The manager is so laid back and is happy to accommodate any ideas we have. We are having an 80s theme and decorating the place ourselves. We wanted cheese and crackers served at the champagne reception, and the rugby club chef said he'd source for us, lots of little things like that. We'll have the place to ourselves and the building is so modern, I just love it.[/quote:23f33mer] Ours was very similar to BORs, and I dont regret any of it, we loved every single part of it!! And the choices we made werent to save money - this was the wedding we wanted!! Do what you want, and dont be letting family/friends get to you, your day - your way :o0
helpineedsomebody Posts: 2
thanks ladies. reading this forum is always a great help. i knew someone would set my mind at ease, i just hope i dont come across as cheap going to try and factor in some free drink or favours or something a little extra to say thanks for coming for our guests!
confusedmum2012 Posts: 325
I recently went to a wedding where there were 25 people at the church and dinner, then everyone was invited to the evening reception with light food served and a dj playing, everyone had a great day and the bride and groom loved it. I'm partly jealous that because it was such an intimate day they didn't have to compromise on quality, we had an amazing dinner in a five star hotel, which they wouldn't have been able to afford if it was a dinner for 130. If thats what you really want, go for it, it's your day. (I should take my own advice as I always wanted a small wedding abroad and instead am having a huge church wedding :o( sorely regret that I didn't stick to my guns) Make sure you do what you want and you won't have any regrets!
Ilovetoast Posts: 2267
[quote="confusedbride2011":2pfxsr1l]I recently went to a wedding where there were 25 people at the church and dinner, then everyone was invited to the evening reception with light food served and a dj playing, everyone had a great day and the bride and groom loved it. I'm partly jealous that because it was such an intimate day they didn't have to compromise on quality, we had an amazing dinner in a five star hotel, which they wouldn't have been able to afford if it was a dinner for 130. If thats what you really want, go for it, it's your day. (I should take my own advice as I always wanted a small wedding abroad and instead am having a huge church wedding :o( sorely regret that I didn't stick to my guns) Make sure you do what you want and you won't have any regrets![/quote:2pfxsr1l] You know you can have what you want dont you??? you have time to change it all..
CalamityJane Posts: 783
[quote="confusedbride2011":3qhwbbpp]I recently went to a wedding where there were 25 people at the church and dinner, then everyone was invited to the evening reception with light food served and a dj playing, everyone had a great day and the bride and groom loved it. I'm partly jealous that because it was such an intimate day they didn't have to compromise on quality, we had an amazing dinner in a five star hotel, which they wouldn't have been able to afford if it was a dinner for 130. If thats what you really want, go for it, it's your day. (I should take my own advice as I always wanted a small wedding abroad and instead am having a huge church wedding :o( sorely regret that I didn't stick to my guns) Make sure you do what you want and you won't have any regrets![/quote:3qhwbbpp] Why are you having the kind of wedding you don't want? I agree, you do still have time to change it...