normal to have just one scan???

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Sphynx Posts: 6795
Hi girls. I know some of you provided info on this in reply to Hairy Molly's question about when to have the first scan. But I'm wondering is it only normal to have just one scan over the 9 months? I'm going to OLOL in Drogheda and according to the mums on Magic Mum they only scan once in weeks 12 to 16. I was really disappointed to hear that :o( and wondering if this is the same elsewhere. If so, I will definitely want another scan later on - where in Dublin can you get that done privately? Someone mentioned Mount Carmel but can I go there if I'm attending in Drogheda? I think it's really bad if we get just one scan here when it seems you get 3 in Northern Ireland and England as standard. Bloody health service again >:o(
Purple Tulip Posts: 3442
i'm in Wexford and we only get 1 at 20wks, however i am getting another one done at 34wks because in 1st scan they saw that placenta was very low down so they want to make sure it has moved. i have read that you can book a private scan in dublin maybe try that
bellabella Posts: 2750
Yu can go a get one in the charlemount clinic in Rathmines. There is a name and address in a thread on magicmum for a place that does 3d scans. Anyway you should not have to go somewhere else to have a scan.It's out of order
Sassy Posts: 2269
Hi Blackcat I know in Holles Street you only get one scan between 18 and 22 weeks unless you doctor has medically requested another throught the pregnancy. I know with the private scan any one can have a privete scan in Mount Carmel or the Charlemont Clinic once they have a GP letter.
grumpy Posts: 1280
I had my scan at 18 weeks in the Rotunda. If not for the minor car crash I had, that would have been it (but due to the crash, I had another scan there last week - all OK). You really don't need any more than that unless there are issues, but I know that first-time mum's worry a lot! If you go private, I think you get more as your consultant may have his own machine.
Bella and Sassy - thanks for the info. I will be checking out those options. Just looked out the hospital info in my "The Better Birth Book" and it says for OLOL Drogheda: "Ultrasound: All mothers have at first antenatal visit and subsequently during pregnancy IF INDICATED". (i.e. only if something is wrong). Think that's disgraceful. What is something goes wrong that could only be detected with a scan??! >:o( None of the other hospitals provided info on ultrasound so can't tell you what the story is anywhere else. Honestly, this country.....
grumpy Posts: 1280
I think theres very little that can go wrong that would be detected and prevented by increased routine scanning. Think about it, for the most part our mum's didn't get any scans at all because the technology just wasn't there! It is a disgrace that our health system is in such rag order though.
Grumpy that's true - I never thought of it that way. Maybe I've just been spoiled watching too many TV dramas where mums-to-be get to see their babies when they're quite big. I suppose more than anything I was just really looking forward to seeing babs in there more than just once, especially as DH can't come next week. And not sure what I'll be able to make out other than an blob at week 12! It just seems unfair that we get scanned less here than up north. Anyway, as you say it's not essential. But will definitely find out about getting a scan privately just in case I can't bear not to!
MrsHawaii05 Posts: 488
blackcat why dont u get the 4 d scan done -its €150 i can try find the details if u like im attending the rotunda and i only got one scan first time too
Mrs Hawaii that would be great - if you find those details please pass them on! Think I would find that possibility hard to resist....