Nosebleed?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

MrsGPants Posts: 835
Ladies, i lay down last night in bed to read and felt my nose fill with what i thought was snot! I sat up quickly cause i could feel my nose fill up and run down the back of my throat, which caused me to cough - big handfull of blood :eek My nose just started streaming blood. WTF? I have never had a nosebleed in my life. Did not hit my nose or blow it too hard or pick it! or anything, it was completely spontaneous. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it pregnancy related do you think? By the way, i held my head back and applied pressure and the bleeding stopped within 5 mins. And i feel absolutely fine. It just looked so dramatic!
Luka Posts: 1904
Hi MrsGpants, Yes they are pregnancy related. I got several major nosebleeds when I was expecting my DS. I mentioned them at my GP's, he said that the increased blood flow in pregnancy causes them & the can't harm the baby. He DID say that if a nosebleed is going on 20 minutes without letting up, seek medical attetion,for the simple reason you would start to feel weak by then, but again the baby is fine. The last nosebleed I got, was just short of the 20 mins, I was in a panic, it just destroyed my clothes (thank god it didn't happen in the supermarket! :-8 ) I could have brained my DH, I was complaining & he said "what do you want ME to do about it"! >:o( AM drive me to the GP's MAYBE!!! MEN. anyway, it stopped & I went into a sound sleep after, it was surreal. ANyway sorry for rambling. LIke my original point, the are pregnancy related, hope you don't get too many of them :)
dancerformoney Posts: 2733
Yeah pregnancy related. From medical point of view, it's better to pinch under bridge and lean forward, stops blood going down back of throat which might make your stomach feel sicky.
Angel Delight Posts: 103
I got a few nosebleeds when pregnant, once while sitting in a packed restaurant having lunch with a friend :-8 Said it to the doc and she said it was nothing to worry about and have stopped now that baba has arrived.
divingqueen Posts: 102
For a few weeks I was getting these regularly as well. And they did last about 20-30 minutes. I was passing big blood clots and they just started out of no where. I never went to the doc with them, but I told him one day I was in, he said it was fairly normal, but becasue they were lasting so long etc, he did blood test. They sorted themselves out, and I havent had one for weeks, until this morning! but was only very slight! I dont think its anything to worry about.
MrsGPants Posts: 835
Thanks for the responses ladies. It put my mind at ease. Havent had one since thank God, hopefully it was just a once off. :wv