Not quite a rant more advice needed...

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Loreve Posts: 501
.....my MIL is a lovely enough woman. A bit mad and self centered but loves her kids and loves to treat them. The only problem is that the stuff she buys my DH is absolutley hideous. I know it's the thought that counts but I really can't bear to have the stuff in the house. The lastest thing is an elephant table which is about a 1ft hight and is a lifelike elephant with plastic tears (why?) and a circle of glass on it's head. It's truly awful. How can I let her know without hurting her feelings that we have (completely) different taste and not to buy us stuff for the house (which we are in 4 years now so not like we need anything). I really hate her wasting her money on stuff like this that goes straight out to the shed (which is full of other presents from her). I don't want to hurt her but I don't want to be getting this kind of tat for the rest of my life either. It's such a waste of her money (and she doesn't have much)... or should I just grin and bare it and continue to put the stuff in the shed without saying anything......
Valkstar Posts: 2747
I'm sorry, but I just burst out laughing at the elephant table :o0 :o0 What does your dh think of her taste? If he doesn't like it, then maybe he could tell her that you have enough furniture and aren't getting anything else for a long time.
gerbil Posts: 3528
I'd thank her profusely then a short while afterwards tell her that you simply canlt fit in any more furniture/ornaments. Maybe you could steer her in another direction? tell her ye are doing the garden, or H2B needs new jumpers or is into golf or something? But it sounds as if she means well, and that elephant table is a classic >:o)
Loreve Posts: 501
He hates all the stuff too. But he just can't say anything to her as he's afraid to hurt her feelings.................... and if I say anything to her myself and hurt her feelings then I'll be public enemy no. 1 with all his siblings. Mind you the stuff his brothers and sisters have bought him in the past aren't much better (ethnic drums, africian masks, budda statues, a 5ft Frog CD holder (although that was from his Mam again) etc etc) They're all muh...muh...muh....mad!!!!! :o0
Gonetopasturesgreener Posts: 3556
I know the sort of table you're talking about! Tackier than a ho's trailer! Maybe if you put it in the buy and sell section a b2b with an 'elephant theme' to her wedding would love to purchase?....
shobie Posts: 1437
[quote="Faith.":1zgtrbc4]I know the sort of table you're talking about! Tackier than a ho's trailer! Maybe if you put it in the buy and sell section a b2b with an 'elephant theme' to her wedding would love to purchase?....[/quote:1zgtrbc4] :o0 :o0 :o0
MRS NYEB2007 Posts: 3275
[url:1ghy4bqj]http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/index.php[/url:1ghy4bqj]
MrsChuffed Posts: 872
Doesn't she notice that the pressies aren't around?
montagne Posts: 1849
:o0 :o0 :o0 Thats hilarious! Im heading in the same direction myself Loreve. I have a growing collection of dessert plates, i'm up to 8 now. I dont know what to do!
she Posts: 3298
:o0 :o0 :o0 :o0 sorry..........