Not returning to work?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Expecting Posts: 11
Hi all I am thinking of not going back to my current job once I have the baby. Does anyone know the ins and outs of when you should give notice of this and whether the timing affects your entitlement to maternity benefit? Do you have to return to works for a certain period of time? Thanks
Its a Secret Posts: 178
All depends on your company policy I'm afraid. Mine pay a certain amount of Maternity benefit and the rest when you come back. A friend's company's policy is that you have to pay back ALL maternity leave if you leave within 1 year of returing from Maternity Leave.... It really depends...
I don't actually know if my company pays anythign when I am on maternity leave and I know that will have its own conditions....I'm actaully wondering about the State maternity benefit and what conditions attach to that
Lisa_B Posts: 56
As far as I know they cannot claim it back - though i know my cousin went back for one day to get hers
jellybaby Posts: 2316
[quote:2qss5gn1]I don't actually know if my company pays anythign when I am on maternity leave and I know that will have its own conditions....I'm actaully wondering about the State maternity benefit and what conditions attach to that[/quote:2qss5gn1] You're entitled to the state benefit even if you don't return to work. You're entitled to this due to the taxes that you paid in he relevant tax year (if you start mat leave in 2006, it's based on prsi contributions for 2004). They won't try to claim this back if you don't return to work. The only area you'd need to check out before deciding, is if your company pays a top-up, there may be a clause that says you have to work for a certain length after mat leave. As regards notice, that depends on your company. For example, my company requires a months notice. You could give this notice a month before you are due to return to work. Not sure if they can 'make' you work out the notice perioud - I know a girl who gave notice while on mat leave a couple of years back, and they expected her to work out the month. She had to get sick certs so as not to have to go back and work it!!
WonderWol Posts: 2927
Just a little hi-jack sorry :oops: but does anyone know if maternity benefit (as in from the state not a top up from employer) is taxed as I know most social welfare benefit is taxable now ......
jellybaby Posts: 2316
Took this quote directly from oasis.gov.ie [quote:2de8zin6]Maternity Benefit is a tax-free payment. [/quote:2de8zin6] More info here: http://www.oasis.gov.ie/birth/benefits_ ... ty+benefit
WonderWol Posts: 2927
:thnk FAB - thank you!!!
Thanks jellybaby - that was my understanding but then someone told me that if I gave my notice for example one month into my maternity leave then I wouldn't be entitled to the State benefit so I was a bit confused
bride may Posts: 435
I am not going back after my maternity leave, but am saying nothing as I will be intitled to holidays and want to get paid for them. My boss won't pay maternity leave so I get it from the state. While I am of I will be building up bank holidays and regular holidays and it works out at just over 5 weeks which I am taking altogether after maternity leave and she has to pay me for that then I will go in and hand my notice in which I can't wait. I would have to work 1 weeks notice as I get paid weekly but I will try and get out of that.