Not sleeping well - will doc give me pills?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Rogue User Posts: 6101
I have been finding it very difficult to sleep lately. I think it's because I am moving away to the UK soon for a few months without OH and I am just nervous, anxious, worried etc... Also having issues with neighbours dogs barking a lot that is not helping either. I was thinking of going to the doctor and asking him for some sleeping pills to help me sleep cos if I don't get a good nights sleep I will go crazy soon. Is it ok to ask a doc for sleeping pills? Will he think I'm depressed or something. god this seems silly now but I've never asked a doc for stuff like this before so feel like I'm doing something wrong... I only want them for a couple of weeks until I move cos I know then I will be fine. I always get like this coming up to a big event or change in my life but usually it is not as bad as this so I can cope with it iykwim. As soon as the event happens I relax and I'm fine... But with a few more sleepless nights I think I will go loopy.
loveslegacy Posts: 208
Hi There I can empathise with you. I had a time when sleeping was a huge problem.. Definately go to your doctor, most are really understanding. I know there is alot of stigma attached to sleeping pills but sometimes a good nights sleep can help so much.
cabbagehead Posts: 3899
Hey BOR, there's no harm in asking. Just lay it out to you doctor as you've explained it here, you don't sound like you're depressed or anything, you sound like a tired lady who needs sleep but is too stressed to drop off. Just warn your OH you might be a bit weird in your sleep - my Dad took some during a stressful period and he used to shout in his sleep :eek He would wake up refreshed and rested and the rest of us were :zzzz: :zzzz: :zzzz: I do think the [email protected]@rd barking dog is a big factor though, would you try ear-plugs or something? (I didn't contribute to the thread about the dog, but I'd pop over to them and let them know they're wrecking your sleep). Good luck!
gopro Posts: 1801
some GP are dead set against sleeping tablets wen I was having trouble sleeping a few years ago I took tablets from the health store- they def worked for me. I think they were called coffee
CarolinaMoon Posts: 2431
I asked for tablets a few years ago from the doctor - I explained the situation (massive family stress that she was aware of which helped) and she gave me a pack of about ten. I never ended up using them so not sure what they were like but I suspect that they were mild enough ones. I did feel embarrassed about asking and did worry what she would think but there was no bother.
babybambino Posts: 940
It probably depends on your doctor, I suffer with insomnia on and off and the one time I went to the doctor in desperation, I also had a chest infection and exams coming up but he wouldn't give me anything. He told me to get old formula benylin from the chemist, it makes you drowsy and it actually did the trick. With me if I get just one full nights sleep it breaks the pattern. Another time I bought tablets in boots over the counter called sleepeaze, they're an anti histamine that make you drowsy and I find them brilliant, I got them in the uk so I don't know if you can get them here. The active ingredient is diphenhydramine hydrochloride, pity I can't take them while pregnant!
Diamondz Posts: 2208
Have you tried any of the over the counter remedies?? I have heard some of them work great and might be an option before you have to visit the doc, particulalrly if you think your doc would be iffy about it?? Maybe Kalms or Natrasleep??
Rogue User Posts: 6101
Thanks everyone - think I'll make an app today. I have tried that herbal stuff before and it does nothing. :thnk
MinnietheMinx Posts: 2396
[quote="BrideOfRecession":36hiq6qv] have tried that herbal stuff before and it does nothing.[/quote:36hiq6qv] If the doc won't give you anything 2 Panadol Night and a glass of brandy before bed should have you sleeping like a baby. My mam does it from time to time when she's having trouble sleeping and it always works.
SunnyK Posts: 3834
I'd say it totally depends on your doc and his views on sleeping tabs. I am a terrible sleeper and a few months back was having an awful time and went into him almost crying, I was SO tired and just couldn't sleep with the anxiety etc ad he totally understood and gave me a pack of about 10 as well. I didn't even use the lot cos I hated relying on something so strong to make me sleep but I did take one every few days when the tiredness got too much and it just gives you a bit of relief for another couple of days....till it builds up again :o( He did say though not to take them every single night cos you would just start to rely on them. Just ask him for a few mild tablets to get you through the next few weeks and fingers crossed once you've moved and everything starts to settle down again you'll get back to a normal sleeping pattern.