ntl v sky

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

LuckyYear2013 Posts: 3972
Which is the better option? Currently have ntl, and have no problem with them, apart from the price!! Was thinking of looking at sky to see if it's cheaper, but just wonder what the experiences of the other wollies was with them
bridee2b Posts: 2534
Mmm, I would be interested in hearing your opinions on this also... Myself and the OH were only talking about this recently... :-8
cheekywife2011 Posts: 1076
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate Sky they are a nightmare to deal with promise you they will be out to install on such a day and dont turn up with no excuse they amount of times they have let us down is unbelievable id stick with NTL if i were you if we were in an area covered by NTL id change in a heartbeat dont think there is much of a difference in price either
Smurfette Posts: 522
We used to have NTL when we lived in Dublin and we had a lot of problems with it. It kept crashing and sometimes the signal was poor. We rang them loads of times to complain and found their customer service and tech support to be terrible. When we moved out of Dublin we got Sky and have been with them for years. In all that time, I only had to call customer service a couple of times and each time I found them fantastic to deal with. One issue was a billing problem....it was sorted out very quickly. The other problem was signal issue. I rang Tech Support and they spent ages on the phone with me trying to fix the problem. They were very nice and super polite. But the problem couldn't be fixed and they said someone would have to come out and take a look. They told me that it would be a €100 call out fee to fix the issue. I said I would think about it. Decided that I wasn't happy paying out that amount of money, when we hadn't broken anything...the problem was on their side. So I rang cancellations and said I wanted to cancel our Sky cause it wasn't working. Nice lady on the phone said they would send out an engineer for free....which they did, 2 days later, and he fixed everything :compress My next door neighbours were with UPC for a year (which is the same as NTL I think). They had awful problems and UPC did nothing about it. They switched to Sky a few months ago and said they found Sky to be much better...no signal problems at all. Sky have some great offers on and they are VERY willing to negotiate with you on price. At least that is my experience with them anyways!
Bigleap Posts: 696
I find sky much better to deal with then NTL (when we moved house I gave up trying connect to NTL - really offial to deal with). I havent had one problem with Sky but when we had NTL there was constant outages in our area. I think the basic package with Sky is 20 euro a month. Theres more channels but lots that I dont watch. Saying that I like being able to select programmes ahead of viewing them and that fact that many channels repeat programmes one hour later. I'd say though if you've had no problems with NTL then it might be easiest to stick with. You probably wont save much money.
ciaraella Posts: 5323
I think Sky are dearer if you have the sports or movie packages but we have sky and the plus box and i would never never change. It's really easy to use, no problems with installation, very quick. i've used ntl recordable in folks house and it's just not as nice to use at all.
stick Posts: 1229
cant beat SKY. well SKY PLUS all the way. everythign on series link and your not charged for this where your charged 5euro fee
haven't had any issues with ntl I must say... must look into the prices for sky though, and see what I could possibly save. Thanks for the feedback girls, great as usual
one for question, if you have the house wired for ntl, does it need to be re-wired for sky? or could they use the same connection point? Also, would I need a dish?
Peety Posts: 1588
[quote="LiveLaughLove":3p59hb53]one for question, if you have the house wired for ntl, does it need to be re-wired for sky? or could they use the same connection point? Also, would I need a dish?[/quote:3p59hb53] You need a dish....but make sure they secure it properly! We had Sky (due to change over to UPC Saturday week as it's cheaper package for tv, phone and net) I phoned helpline for Sky when the dish becamse loose and was practically swaying and making lots of creaking noises right outside our bedroom window O:| O:| We had to sleep in the spare room a few nights as the noise kept us awake. I phoned sky and told them we needed the dish tightened and first of all I was cut off O:|, then I phoned bak and got some idiot who had no clue what he was doing O:| He kept putting me on hold and when I asked him not to put me on hold again and to phone me back he just ignored me and put me on hold again. Anyway long story short, they wanted to charge us €100 to send out an engineer even though the dish had not been installed properly by their engineer in the first place. I told him I wasn't paying and the next night a girl working for UPC knocked on the door with a special package for phone, tv and net so we changed over! I understand it's not laid out as good as sky but sure we're saving about €20 a month so who cares!