Nuchal scan in Rotunda

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Doyled Posts: 20
Hi My GP recommended I book this type of scan for when I'm 12 weeks This is my first baby so am taking all the advice I can get - I'm only 31 and don't have any history of any abnormalities in my family but I booked it cos I want to have a scan as early as possible. I've my first official consultant visit 3 weeks later. Anyone had this nuchal scan done and would they recommend it?
Elegance Posts: 2848
hi doyled.... i'm 38 and private in rotunda too.... i'll be having this done too, just not sure when yet. my first appmt is 24th feb, i'll discuss it with my consultant then i reckon... I'd rather know if there is any chance of problems with baba. if there is, then i'll decide with dh if we want to investigate further or not. my 2 best friends, both actually older than me and 40 had babies in last 6 months and had this test. they were so relieved when they got good results - it made the rest of their pg much less stressed. its a personal choice i think - good luck with your decision though.
Finallymum Posts: 485
[quote="Doyled":360q1a28]Hi My GP recommended I book this type of scan for when I'm 12 weeks This is my first baby so am taking all the advice I can get - I'm only 31 and don't have any history of any abnormalities in my family but I booked it cos I want to have a scan as early as possible. I've my first official consultant visit 3 weeks later. Anyone had this nuchal scan done and would they recommend it?[/quote:360q1a28] Hi Doyled, I had this done but I requested it; like you I'm 31 but there is a history of DS in dhs family - the nuchal scan is not a diagnostic test so it can only tell you the risk of having a baby with chromosonal problems. Its not 100% accurate in that, you could be told you are high risk and go on to have a healthy baby - only a diagnostic test like amniocentesis can tell you for sure. I'm glad I did have it as the measurement was low and I did feel relieved afterwards. Doctors don't usually offer it in Ireland unless your over 35 but I think everyone should be given the option....
lastminutebride Posts: 785
I'm 35 and we had it done. It was really reassuring, and I'm delighted we did it. Plus seeing the baby was extremely cool. Remember, like FinallyTTC said, the scan (plus blood tests - they do those a few days earlier) can't tell you that your baby does or doesn't have any abnormalities - it's not diagnostic. It just tells you your odds, based on the database. What they told us was something like 'Of babies with the same results as yours, 1 in 4650 will have DS, and 1 in 8500 will have trisomy 13 or 18.' Then you get to decide whether you want to have an amniocentesis and find out for sure. (We decided we were just fine without the amnio, thanksverymuch.) If you would never have an amnio because of the risk of miscarriage, then I'm not sure I'd recommend the nuchal scan. I mean, if we'd been told we had a risk of 1 in 100, we'd have had the amnio, so we'd know for sure one way or the other. But if you wouldn't, then why take the risk of spending the rest of your pregnancy all nervous about a baby that has a 99% chance of being perfectly healthy?
LoveACuppa Posts: 296
I'm 36 and had it done. Even though there's no history in the family, I just wanted to set my mind at ease or be able to prepare myself depending on the results. As it turned out, the results were great, which was a fantastic reassurance and really put my mind at ease. There's no such thing as 0% chance, but to be told at 35 that I had the same level of risk as a 15 year-old was wonderful. The quality of the scan in the Rotunda is fantastic. Far more detailed that those which I've had in the Coombe and we got some gorgeous scan pics to bring home. It would've been worth the money just for the pics, but the piece of mind it gave us is priceless. Best of luck.