Number of Guests

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Mrs P_tobe Posts: 66
Hey all, We had invited 60 guests to join us on our special day in Mallorca in August. However, because of how bad things are at the moment and a lot of our friends have lost their jobs and are worried abut money we have only had 30 book including family. :-( I feel a bit deflated now as I had everything planned for everybody and we were so looking forward to having all of our close friends there. :-( I understand that people can't afford it right now, it's working out £190 per person for the weekend and if you don't have a job that is a lot of money. Just think it's a big shame. Oh well i guess that's what happens when you get married abroad. We should have thought about it really. Esp as my friend is getting married at home and it's costing half the amount we have spent on the wedding, we should have looked around first and thought things through. We actually stupidly thought it would be cheaper abroad too. We found out that 2 of our friends decided to go away next month for a holiday instead and now can't afford the wedding which is a bit of a shame as i thought they might like to prefer to come to the wedding but obviously not. Has anybody else had lots of people decline because of current circumstances?? xxxxxx
SilverGirl Posts: 1517
I think I would be vey upset with your two friends who are going on hols next month and not going to your wedding.. thats just me though. I totally understand you feeling deflated, I would be the same. But I'm sure you will have a fantastic time with the number that are going, and it might be more intimate. Its your speical day so enjoy it with the people who will be there xx
Thanks EmmieLou. I am upset about them doing that, I personally would prefer to save the money and go to my friends wedding. Some people are strange, they obviously don't really care and like i said to hubby to be, you really do find out who your friends are when you get married. xxx
SilverGirl Posts: 1517
If it was me I would go to the wedding rather than a hol. Its so true, you really do find out who your friends are. My wedding is in the very early stages and I am even seeing it this early on.
MRS.C2B Posts: 408
I understand your prob deflated about this but you wont even miss them when you caught up in the day! I get do to the way things are now not everyone can afford it but I dont agree with your 2 friends booking holidays so the cant go to your wedding the could have booked there holiday in the same place as your wedding so that they had there week or two away and attended the wedding! Its is true in times like these you see some people in a different light, When my dad passed 2 years ago 2 of what I would have considered my closest friends never came to his funeral which I found incredibly insulting and I cant see them in the same light since I keep a friendly distance now...
Hi! Sorry to hear about your dad. :o( It's true that you find out in times like that who really cares. All of our other friends it's our little 'gang' have alraedy booked for a week with us and are making it their holiday for this year, but the other couple were interested in booking they kept saying oh we will book nearer the time. I knew they had something up their sleeve. Bit sneaky really. xxxxxx
pigeonwife Posts: 3789
At the end of the day they will probably regret it more than you as they will have to hear about the fabulous time they missed from your other friends that are going. For the ones that truly can't afford it why not have a party when you come home. T'would be an excuse to don the glad rags again. I know I'd love an excuse to wear my dress again.
Hi Pigeon Bride, It's funny cos my hubby to be's nickname is pigeon hee hee We had thought of a party when we came home but we have spent way over our budget on the wedding (more than we ever thought) so i don't think that will be an option which is a shame. I will just have to show them all the lovely piccies of our special day. xxx
Well you don't have to go overboard. Why not just have a gathering in the local pub. Sort of like the day after of a wedding at home...
Well you don't have to go overboard. Why not just have a gathering in the local pub. Sort of like the day after of a wedding at home... You could show the DVD and decorate the place with photos. Talk to the pub and they may even lay on some finger food and/or entertainment as after all you will be filling the place for them!