Nursery furniture sales?! Should I wait till January?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

KEbaby Posts: 99
Hiya, Our baby is due in Oct/Nov. I am planning to either use a crib or hopefully my bugaboo for the first few months for the baby to sleep in. I'm going to order the bugaboo this week hopefully and when I get it I'm going to lug it up and down the stairs a few times to see how feasible it is using it at night for the baby to sleep in. Possibly a mad thought but I'm trying to avoid unecessary purchases that will only last me a few months....(particularly with the price of the bugaboo I want to get as much out of it as possible!!!) Are the January sales usually any good? I'm looking at a cot at the moment in Bellababy-there's only 10% off so not really a huge saving. Besides the 10% off in Bellababy, the cot I have in mind seems to pretty much priced the same most places I've looked online. If I wait till January do you think I could possibly save much more? I don't know whether to try and be really organised and have everything ready to go or whether to space out the big expenses....(and hopefully save more that way!). Thanks!
happieout Posts: 3111
Xxx
Bigsurprise Posts: 961
I would get a crib/cot from the start. I'm not sure if January sales are the same as they used to be in that sales are all year round now so you might wait & find there isn't much of a price reduction. I bought my cot in a Argos clearance sale - another wollie posted about it & I went straight online & ordered it. It's a mammas & papas one.
Weird Cat Lady Posts: 3501
You could wait, but your baby will be what - three months? Don't know how big a crib is but our one had out-grown the moses basket before 12 weeks. Just something to bear in mind. Got a cot around two months after the birth. Was easier to have a browse at stuff whilst off and out and about. Why rush. I might never have left the house otherwise and I come out in a rash if I'm too organised.
Little Miss Hopeful Posts: 1193
Well I would suggest not buying a crib or Moses basket and just getting a cot, you don't need to spend big mind I got mine reasonable priced with mattress from kiddicare, I think your priorities are a bit skewed if money is an issue you'd be better off waiting for good deal on buggy and get the baby a safe place to sleep. Also to say "big" items need not be a big expense, there are some really good buggies and travel systems that don't cost anywhere near the price of a car!
No harm wanting to save a bita dosh, especially when you don't have it. Kebaby, could you borrow a crib or basket? Many folk do. We did. Babies seem to have a preference for sleeping in snug spots for the first while so a cot mightn't be the best from birth.
Anne Cordelia Shirley Posts: 4731
I would agree with seeing what you can borrow. We got a co-sleeper on loan, as well as a moses basket (just bought a new mattress for that) and they were great, but our lass was out of both by about four/five months. Plenty of people use a cot from the start too, and if you're tight for space and/or money its a grand way to go. I wouldn't have a baby sleeping every night in a pram carry cot, I'm not sure they'd be recommended for long term use like that. I found there seemed to be sales on all the time, like Argos one month/Mothercare the next, most of what we bought was on sale.
Should state on the cot packaging if it's suitable for long-term sleeping.
Dovetail Posts: 293
Little miss hopeful a bit unfair! She didn't say money was an issue - she just said she's hoping to get good deals and to not be wasteful with her money. The bugaboo is really never discounted and most would say its an excellent investment. I'd not be holding out for sales - I think you've as much chance of getting something on discount at any other time of the year.
(I meant carrycot above. Cots are very popular for long-term sleeping apparently. But I could be proved wrong on that).