Oddly specific question about windows! (seriously!)

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Girl From Mars Posts: 1446
Ok so this is very weird (and pretty boring) but I can't find anything about this online. I need to replace windows and I'm just wondering if such a type exists that they would have a latch on them whereby you could set them to only open a specific amount and no further? I know it sounds bizarre and probably belongs in house and home but there's always more traffic here. Also if anyone knows that they exist can you tell me where I'd get them? It's basically to stop my cat escaping but still be able to open the windows and get some air in!
Cinnabon Posts: 2626
The windows in our apartment are like this - they are the double glazed ones with white PVC surround. Don't know who supplied them & I only found out recently that they are like that.
Dancing Queen Posts: 2591
Yep. I have fab new windows that can do this, just need to figure out how exactly :-8 :o0
Mrs Fahrenheit Posts: 1582
Hey, I have windows that lock open. I.e. I can open them up a little bit then turn down the handle and lock them in place. They were in the house when we moved in but they are defintely pretty standard windows, nothing fancy. I'd imagine you could get them anywhere. I found them and this website and aparently the feature is called a "saftey catch" [url:2jw125nf]http://www.senatorwindows.ie/products/casement-windows-5-67.html[/url:2jw125nf] There are also those windows that you can tilt open a bit. We had them in our old place. HTH, MF
Babybump2013 Posts: 271
Munster joinery supply windows with a restrictor arm fitted that allow them to be opened a certain amount but if you want you can flick the arm and open them fully. they have nationwide reps afaik that can show you examples.
Girl From Mars Posts: 1446
God bless ye girls! I always know that if it exists I can find it on wol, thanks!
MrsBraxton Posts: 4662
[quote="2b2010":3s4lzwfd]Munster joinery supply windows with a restrictor arm fitted that allow them to be opened a certain amount but if you want you can flick the arm and open them fully. they have nationwide reps afaik that can show you examples. [/quote:3s4lzwfd] The windows in our house are Munster Joinery and have that safety catch on them. V handy if you want fresh air but its windy or wet and don't want to open the windows fully.
IvytheTerrible Posts: 950
PMd you :wv
LastRolo Posts: 6892
How much do you want the window to open? Is it a few inches or only on vent (looks like the window is closed but there is air coming in?? If its the second... most windows do this. Where you open the window slightly and turn the handle down. If its the first - like a safely latch (like to stop upstairs opening too much that someone would fall out), again, most good window companies also offer these.
GalBride Posts: 444
Hi Girl from Mars, The safety latch is attached onto the window frame so that you can open your window a certain amount and it won't go any further. They are primarily used for child safety and most new windows should have them on them. The companies I would recommend are Senator Windows or Grady Joinery. Munster are cheaper but the quality of the window would not be as good (if replacing). If you weren't replacing the windows, you should be able to purchase them from a local window company. They can be easily fitted if you get someone to show you how to do one. (Getting the window company to fit some for you without getting the windows could be expensive ;o) ) Best of luck :thnk