Offsite Civil Ceremony Brides thread

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

papillon Posts: 1305
I thought I might start a thread to see if there are many of us. No harm to touch base with one another to see what each of us are doing for our format. I'm getting married in May and we're having a civil ceremony in the lovely Delacy room in Kilkea castle. It's a stunning location. I was looking at getting a string trio but thought the better of it now there's a recession and we are in touch with a spanish guitar player who will be able to play during the ceremony. We are sticking to a lot of tradition, I've a white (well, ivory) dress, bridesmaids, best men, groomsmen etc, my dad will walk me down the aisle, just no mention of God (as neither of us believe in God) and no veil. My OH found a lovely poem that's not too sickly sweet and I still have to ask my aunt to read it. I may ask another friend to read a piece also. We might do a candle lighting ceremony, not sure. Anyone else have any nifty ideas? Please share your own plans.
shobie Posts: 1437
Good idea for a thread. We are getting married on 3rd April in Ballybeg House. Like you I'm wearing an ivory gown, having 1 bridesmaid & bestman, father walking me down the 'ailse' or corridor actually :o0 A friend is playing the piano (there is one in the room we are marrying in) as I walk down the ailse and FIL2B is singing at the signing of the register. We haven't decided on readings, poems etc as I can't seem to get hold of the registrar to discuss this so I would be very interested in that poem you are using papillon. Not doing the candles thing either. Would love to hear what others are doing and what music ye are using.
papillon Posts: 1305
Ah, I found it! (OH found it in a second hand book) Gavin Maxwell "A Ring Of Bright Water" He has married me with a ring, a ring of bright water Whose ripples travel from the heart of the sea, He has married me with a ring of light, the glitter Broadcast on the swift river. He has married me with the sun's circle Too dazzling to see, traced in summer sky. He has crowned me with the wreath of white cloud That gathers on the snowy summit of the mountain, Ringed me round with the world-circling wind, Bound me to the whirlwind's centre. He has married me with the orbit of the moon And with the boundless circle of stars, With the orbits that measure years, months, days, and nights, Set the tides flowing, Command the winds to travel or be at rest. At the ring's centre, Spirit, or angel troubling the pool, Causality not in nature, Finger's touch that summons at a point, a moment Stars and planets, life and light Or gathers cloud about an apex of gold, Transcedent touch of love summons my world into being. It's a lovely poem, would you believe it's from a book about wildlife and otters in remote Scotland!
Silent Bride Posts: 565
Were having our ceremony in the hotel as well and we are going down the normal route, just not a religous ceremony. Brother walking me down the ailse, 3 BM & BM, rings, candles, songs, poems etc. We haven't decided on the songs yet, the usual ones that you hear at weddings are not what we want. Any ideas of what music would be approprite that doesn't have a religous theme to it would be appreciated. We have started to discuss this a few times but never got around to finishing the discussion. We are having a guitar/accordian as part of the music, just simple but nice and lively as well where we would like it to be. I know the 2 readings we want so far and they are: The velveteen rabbit story (the shortened version) and the following one which I found on another ceremony topic and thought it was perfect straight away. “Blessing of the Hands", by Rev. Daniel L. Harris “These are the hands of your best friend, young and strong and full of love for you. They are the hands that are holding yours on your wedding day, as you promise to love each other today, tomorrow, and forever. These are the hands that will work alongside yours, as together you build your future. These are the hands that will passionately love you and cherish you through the years, and with the slightest touch, will comfort you like no other. These are the hands that will hold you when fear or grief fills your mind. These are the hands that will countless times wipe the tears from your eyes; tears of sorrow, and as in today, tears of joy. These are the hands that will tenderly hold your children, the hands that will help you to hold your family as one. These are the hands that will give you strength when you need it. And lastly, these are the hands that even when wrinkled and aged, will still be reaching for yours, still giving you the same unspoken tenderness with just a touch.”
queenie2 Posts: 18
Hi All, Im getting married in June in Barberstown. Similar to yourselves Im doing alot of traditional bits 1 bridesmaid, bestman & flower girl Dad walking down the aisle guitarist playing music throughout unity candles had meeting with registrar during the week and they will allow readings, poems or anything once theres no religious content. what was great was that they gave us a copy of the ceremony that will take place and it shows you which sections during the ceremony that you can have music, poem etc. and the time allowed... i was surprised that there is actually about 5/6 different places where this can be done so you can really make the ceremony very personal as opposed to just the official bits and then over with
DrWhosPoopy Posts: 654
Hey girls. We're having two poems in our civil (we'll get both mams to read these), writing our own vows and our two favourite 'us' songs for signing the regestir and leaving. Maybe a candle ceremony too. Here's the poems, they're both by E E Cummings and i think theyre just lovely. I LOVE YOU MUCH i love you much(most beautiful darling) more than anyone on the earth and i like you better than everything in the sky -sunlight and singing welcome your coming although winter may be everywhere with such a silence and such a darkness noone can quite begin to guess (except my life)the true time of year- and if what calls itself a world should have the luck to hear such singing(or glimpse such sunlight as will leap higher than high through gayer than gayest someone's heart at your each nearness)everyone certainly would(my most beautiful darling)believe in nothing but love I CARRY YOUR HEART WITH ME i carry your heart with me(i carry it in my heart)i am never without it(anywhere i go you go,my dear;and whatever is done by only me is your doing,my darling) i fear no fate(for you are my fate,my sweet)i want no world(for beautiful you are my world,my true) and it's you are whatever a moon has always meant and whatever a sun will always sing is you here is the deepest secret nobody knows (here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud and the sky of the sky of a tree called life;which grows higher than soul can hope or mind can hide) and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart) Papillon, that poem is lovely, i may nick it and write in my letter to h2b!
blueswallow Posts: 1244
Great idea for a thread! :o)ll We're also having a civil ceremony in a hotel. I'll be wearing a long ivory gown and a veil, both parents will walk me up the aisle, and we're having two bridesmaids and two groomsmen. We will do the candle ceremony and one reading - can't find two we like. We've booked a string quartet. I will walk up the aisle to Handel's 'The Arrival of the Queen of Sheba' and we're walking back down to Handel's Hornpipe No. 2 from the Water Music Suite. We'll also have Carolan's Concerto and maybe Nella Fantasia/Gabriel's Oboe. Still trying to decide on a couple of tunes for the signing of the register. We were told that, although the vows are set legal wording, we can say what we like for the exchange of rings. Anyone doing that?
20102010 Posts: 78
Hi Girls, So happy to see this thread Im New here and just starting our plans. We have set a date for October 2010 and are getting Married off site in a Hotel in Bunratty.(Fiance was married very young years ago) Would love to do all the tradional stuff We have 3 BM's & Grooms and our little boy will be Paige boy, Not meeting Registrar til may so really didnt know what we could do but great to see that music and readings can be included im getting so excited that my day will be everything i dreamed about as i thought it would have to be a 10 minute cermon in a reg office without the frills. Meeting Hotel Next week so will get to see layout of Reception and where the cermony will take place. How many guests do you have going? Are you doing full dinner and band etc.
panda_bear Posts: 342
also doing the hotel thing, have 3 BMs best men groomsmen etc, ivory dress, all the trimmings.. just no priest. I got a cool book with loads of ideas from www.thebookdepository.co.uk called The Knot Guide to Wedding Vows and Traditions, which has lots of poems and quotations.. www.theknot.com has a section on readings too, some really nice modern type ones that aren't all "thee" and "thy" which, while lovely, would seem a bit silly for us. Also thinking of having the unity sand ceremony, like a unity candle ceremony but with sand [img:1eqpknem]http://www.impressionsareeverything.com/usrimage/cat293.jpg[/img:1eqpknem] the idea is that you have separate different colour sand in glass jars and when you mix them they can never be fully separated again. think it sounds like a nice idea.
*coolaboola* Posts: 374
oh panda, that sand idea is so sweet! :lvs i love it! we are gettign married in a civil ceremony at a country house in July. initially we were planning on about 30 guests to the ceremony, but now it look like it'll be 70! typical! i'm excited at having more people there though, i think it'll be a better atmosphere that way. still choosing my readings etc for the ceremony but have our harpist booked. :o)ll :o)ll
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10