OH MY GOD.....

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Mumslove Posts: 528
Just seen a heavily pregnant woman drink RED BULL- am I over reacting? Maybe its okay I dunno
milis Posts: 7998
What part of this has shocked you? Fair enough if there was a double vodka in it!
toesies Posts: 436
I don't see the problem, hate the stuff myself but is it a big deal to drink it when expecting?
Toblerone Posts: 2698
each to her own! So it's got double the caffeine than diet coke and high levels of sugar - not up to us to police someone else. Just don't drink it yourself if you're shocked! jmo
fxfor3 Posts: 2347
i wouldnt drink it myself but maybe that woman needed a caffeine hit to wake baby up if she hadn been feeling movement or maybe she likes it we dont know so i wouldnt judge her for.
Mumslove Posts: 528
Didnt mean to cause any offence. I thought it was meant to be bad for you especially during pregnancy. Im wrong, no offence meant
redfly Posts: 358
They told my friend to drink a sugary drink like Lucozade or Red Bull before her 3D scan as it would wake the baby up and have him move around more.
Daff Posts: 11644
I'd be shocked by that. You here how bad those drinks are for you all the time, so would definately expect people to avoid it in pregnancy. I'm trying to avoid all caffine and sugary drinks while pregnant - not even drinking tea. Chocolate seems to be the only weakness I have that has caffine in it! I'm hyper enough, so hoping laying off the caffine will calm baby down in case it takes after me! :o0
milis Posts: 7998
Red bull has the same amount of caffeine in it as a cup of coffee. I don't think a pregnant woman drinking a cup of coffee would ellicit this reaction at all. I've reduced my caffeine intake too, but everyone has their own vices that they choose to keep during pregnancy, I don't think it's up to us to judge!
survivor Posts: 2507
Milis is absolutely right. Red Bull has 300 mg/L of Caffeine (I know this as I test all caffeinated drinks for a living). A strong cup of coffee has exactly the same amount of Caffeine. None of the medical experts will tell you to stay away from caffeine completely. Even the what to expect book says that anything up to 200 mg per day is perfectly fine. That equates to nearly 3 red bulls, 5 cups of tea or around 3 coffees. Experts recommend you reduce your caffeine intake if its excessive, as in over 200mg a day. They also recommend that you feed your body with what it craves, and if this is a sugar/caffeine hit then go with it. I wouldn't be a bit bothered about seeing that woman with the red bull. Go into any coffee shop and you're bound to find a preganant woman having a coffee :o0