OH's Friends - Love them or loath them?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

lolabelle Posts: 3311
Hi Ladies, I was just wondering how everyone felt about their OH's friends. I really like my DH's friends BUT I am really intimidated by them. DH is older than me so his friends are all around the same age as him. I feel like a teenager when we are out with them. They are all really successful, smart "grown ups"!!! For example one of them is a nuclear physicist another is a quantum physicist but decided to move to IT cos he was BORED with physics :eek :eek :eek :eek Don't get me wrong I'm not stupid, I own my own very successful business that I built up from nothing in a new country but I still feel like they are the adults if you get me. Just wondering what everyone else thinks of their OH's friends?
Jawl Posts: 8881
I :heartbeat: Mr. Jawl's friends. Just as well really as his family make me want to O:| He's older than me, and all his friends are his age, so I thought it would be weird at the beginning but I'm such good friends with all of them now. I'm good friends with two of his friends wives over the last 5 years. And close friends with a few others. I actually grew up with one of his friends daughters, and that's not weird either. Obviously the friend is a few years older than Mr. Jawl :o0 I've never once in 5 years noticed an age gap between me and Mr. Jawl, and thankfully not with his friends either. I wouldn't say I'm old before my time either, it's just they are really nice people and we all get on well. I love when we have arranged to go out with them.
StupidSexyFlanders Posts: 8402
Love them all really bar one or two that we don't even see that often. Really very fond of all the others, they're a lovely bunch of people.
GreenerPastures Posts: 7284
I love DHs friends. They are a great bunch of lads. They have been friends since secondary school and are so loyal and good to each other. They are messers at times but they are good lads.
jamjars Posts: 1721
Love them! His "lads" are a good bunch of guys, decent group with a ridiculous amount of "bromance" among them all! :o0 :o0 Little immature at times but they're lovely and great fun! Got to know the girlfriends a bit more over the summer and they all great fun! DH best man isn't part of that group- really lovely guy, couldn't speak highly enough of him and his girlfriend - hope they get married eventually cos I can really see us staying friends with them forever!! :-8
lolabelle Posts: 3311
Aww its great to hear!! I love DH's friends too and I do really like going out with them I just feel slightly intimidated. Its my own insecurities tho, they have never been anything but nice to me. :heartbeat:
lux Posts: 6270
There are only two I can't stand. One is VERY religious, which I would not mind, but he looks down on us for not having a "real" wedding in a church and is very clear that he thinks his way of life is the only way. He's also a real tightwad, he told us his big fancy wedding "paid for itself with gifts from friends and family" and him and his wife have NEVER had us over to their house, ever, even for a cup of tea-we've had many parties and dinners with them, they go wherever they are invited but NEVER reciprocate. The other one is a single dad and that is ALL he talks about. The custody battle, the court cases, the maintenance, when he next has his son for the weekend, how she wants to take him to England etc, etc, etc. It has worn well thin at this stage. I think he thinks because I worked in law I am interested in his legal battles, eh NO, not on weekend when we're having a drink. The rest are grand, TBH I tend to let him hang out with them on his on as I feel like a bit of a sap if I'm the only girl out.
StupidSexyFlanders Posts: 8402
[quote="lux":kgz2ys7p]The rest are grand, TBH I tend to let him hang out with them on his on as I feel like a bit of a sap if I'm the only girl out.[/quote:kgz2ys7p] I used to hate this! H2B's friends' wives and girlfriends are all real homebirds and wouldn't go out that often. I used to mind going out and being the only girl there but they have assured me that I am now "one of the lads" :o0 I never feel awkward about it anymore, they're a great bunch.
Jawl Posts: 8881
[quote="StupidSexyFlanders":3saoj37r][quote="lux":3saoj37r]The rest are grand, TBH I tend to let him hang out with them on his on as I feel like a bit of a sap if I'm the only girl out.[/quote:3saoj37r] I used to hate this! H2B's friends' wives and girlfriends are all real homebirds and wouldn't go out that often. I used to mind going out and being the only girl there but they have assured me that I am now "one of the lads" :o0 I never feel awkward about it anymore, they're a great bunch.[/quote:3saoj37r] Yeah, I've often been in the local with Mr. Jawl, and his friends will come in on their own. And we could spend hours chatting and laughing, never feel awkward. Maybe because when I met him I as on a girlie weekend and he was on a lads weekend so we all mucked in together anyway. :o0
Kaycee Posts: 2107
most of his friends are now my friends over the years, and likewise, one of his now best friends was a good friend of mine first. i love it that way. don't really have 'lads' nights out as i hate hate hate those type of relationships. don't get me wrong he'll go and watch sport and go to gigs i've no interest etc but theres no lads vs girls group. so i love his friends as most of them are my friends too. if we broke up tomorrow it would be very difficult :o0