OK, how am I meant to get to the hospital?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

lastminutebride Posts: 785
This may be a really silly question, but if it is I'm OK with you guys pointing and laughing :-D How do people get to the hospital if they don't have a car?? We don't drive. It's never been a problem before, but now... I said we can get a taxi, but my husband says no taxi driver is gonna take a woman whose waters could break all over his nice clean seats. A few family and friends live nearby and do have cars, but my mother would be excited enough that she will crash into something, my brother will have a new baby of his own, I can't really ask a friend to put her life on hold till I go into labour... We could always ring an ambulance, but that seems like a total waste of resources for something that, touch wood and all going well, isn't actually an emergency. We live about half an hour's walk from the hospital, which adds up to a five-minute drive in no traffic or an hour-long drive in rush hour. I'm inclined towards ringing a taxi and not telling them the 'in labour' bit. Up until ten or twenty years ago, most people in this city didn't have cars, and yet women managed to get to hospital to have their babies. How the hell did they get there?!
newone Posts: 1714
:o0 I would say you will be fine ringing a taxi! Good luck!
bumble Posts: 1980
Taxi! They'll take you. If they are awkward tell them your waters already broke! :o0 Esp at the moment they wont be turning any business down. We both drive but I would hesitate getting DH to drive me for two reasons: (1) He'll prob crash he'll be so frantic trying to get there and I'll be freaking out as am a real back seat driver. (2) He'll have to drop me at door and go off and park and i'll be left on my own to "check in" So i reckon we'll get family to drive us if it's during a reasonable hour or else taxi. Plus if it's rush hour defo taxi so they can use bus lanes!
snowbear Posts: 2107
Mx
MammyC Posts: 3621
Hi all, My dad is a taxi driver and has taken many a woman to the Maternity in an emergancy (Im talking serious active labour here ) He has no problem with it all!! He is only too glad to help, just bring a large towel or plastic bag if your leaking fluid and sit on that. Taxis can take car seats I think. Im not sure though,
bride. Posts: 3014
Oh god, I got a taxi. I drive but dh doesn't and he wouldn't let me so we called a taxi and must have gotten the only driver in Dublin who didn't know his way to the coombe! I had to direct him the whole way there, dh was useless as I always drive so he didn't know the way either. In his excitement the driver mounted a high kerb just as we took off and nearly got the baby out in one go with the fright I got. I wish I'd driven myself and told nobody!
MammaMia Posts: 33
I live out in Wicklow and hubs does not drive so I will have no choice but to drive myself into Holles St. What I am wondering is after three days in hospital after the baby with please god no complications will I be fit to drive home???
bride. Posts: 3014
MM to be honest, I wasn't able to sit down with any ease, I couldn't drive for a couple of weeks and I didn't have a section just some stitching. Is there a family member who could drive you?
snowbear Posts: 2107
[quote="MammaMia"]I live out in Wicklow and hubs does not drive so I will have no choice but to drive myself into Holles St. What I am wondering is after three days in hospital after the baby with please god no complications will I be fit to drive home???[/
maisedon Posts: 1394
[quote="MammaMia":2abzhepb]I live out in Wicklow and hubs does not drive so I will have no choice but to drive myself into Holles St. What I am wondering is after three days in hospital after the baby with please god no complications will I be fit to drive home???[/quote:2abzhepb] mammamia, I wouldn't risk driving all the way from Wicklow if I were you -when you are having contractions you can't walk or talk, never mind concentrate on anything else. I would go as far as to say that my contractions were not painful and I had an easy labour but there was NO WAY I could have driven to hospital....