Old wives tales or not...No hotbaths or DTD first 12 weeks??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Hopefully Posts: 254
Girls just wondering if any of you can shed any light on this. I'm just over 5 weeks pregnant and afraid to hop into the bath or do the bold thing with DH for fear of mc. I'm not normally into baths but for some reason I am dieing for one but afraid to have one. Not DTD with DH for 12 weeks will be really tough ... not that I'm a randy so and so but 12 weeks is a long time and I miss the closeness of it more than anything. DH is more paranoid about DTD for the first 12 weeks than me ... shouldn't have told him !!
Toblerone Posts: 2698
Wives tales. DTD - unless specifically advised by doctor there is no reason to avoid. just take it slowly and know that you may also have to change position to get comfortable. TBH if you feel like it go for it believe me soon enough you won't want anyone near you. :o0 Baths - I don't think there is any need to avoid baths. There is hot and there is scalding hot which could make you faint. Just make sure it's not roasting and you should be ok. Might be idea not to lock bathroom door and make sure you aren't dehydrated. Otherwise enjoy both.
Bright Flower Posts: 483
Not DTD is definitely an old wives tale. It is absolutely fine to go ahead. I asked my doc and she said no problem at all. Only if you have been specificially told by the doc not to (eg high risk such as multiple previous miscarriages) should you reconsider. As for hot baths, I actually did read in some places that they are best avoided for all of pregnancy in case you overheat. I think it depends on the temperture though - ie you should avoid jacuzzis and sauna, but a nice warm bath every now and again should be fine - just be careful not to stay too long/ get too hot.
May 08 Wife Posts: 1642
I have heard of some people who have previously suffered from mc not to dtd in the first 12 weeks but it was advised to them by their doctor and i have definately read in a book lately not to have a bath too hot as if your too hot the baby is also too hot which is not good at all. Im sure a bath at lukewarm or a warm temp not hot is ok do.
babyblaBBer Posts: 2448
you can defo do the deed so long as you have no history of miscarraige. baths are great and highly recommended in pregnancy but as other posters said, it has to be a warm bath as opposed to a hot bath. it's the same when you're working out, you can regulate your temperature by sweating if you get hot but the baby can't so while you're pregnant you have to try not to overheat!
marriedinmay Posts: 578
Opppps I love hot baths have one a day! :eek :ooh :eek :ooh
silíní Posts: 4219
I'd say hot baths are def out - you have to be careful not to overheat. Warm ones are great. DTD as the other said is meant to be fine unless told otherwise. I dont think we dtd at all in first 12 wks last time as i was too nervous and then i was waaaay to sick to think about it. A bit nervous about dtd this time too as i've had a bleed or two already.. :o(
Gingham Posts: 3014
hot baths.... I was told by doctor if your skin is pink coming out of the bath then it is too hot..I didnt have a bath in the first 12 weeks as I was too scared DTD- I know people say it is safe but I have heard of so many people having bleeds after dtd that we decided not to.. I was also very sick with MS.
Crostini Posts: 1105
DTD no probs baths - i've had one pretty much every day :-8 no problems. just don't have it hot. if you can't step into it without having to put more cold water in then it's too hot! i think the issue is that the heat would raise the babies temp. so just keep it nice and warm, they really are great for relaxing
*BabyMaker* Posts: 212
I did both on dd & she is fine; I had my 1st bath since getting BFP last night, I just made sure it wasn't too hot; I have a jazuzzi bath so was more upset I couldn't use that - been told to stay out of bath for 3mths would kill me altogether :o0