old wives tales to get labour started, do they work?!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

irish bride Posts: 558
Hi girls, Am just wondering if any of you found that any of the old wives tales actually worked to bring on labour? Am due in 3 weeks so just want to be ready in case this baba decides to stay put and I have enough ha ha! I have heard that pineapple works, but I have been craving and eating it throughout the pregnancy, and apparently hot baths – but I have been having bad BH the last few months so take one every night to help with those! I have heard the likes of: Drinking a G&T Sex Caster Oil – ew! Burning clary sage Eating spicy food (have been doing that one already too!) Walking Running up and down the stairs Raspberry Leaf Tea Any others!?!
Baby cakes Posts: 1237
I have heard of the raspberry leaf tea app that to get your cervix ready for delivery. I also heard about the fresh pineapple, the walking I would do I did that and also ate the spicy food actually the night before i went into labour, i had gone for an extra long walk and had an indian and a couple of glasses of vino and low and behold 5am went into labour (3 days early). And one of neighbours did the same and it worked for her.
grumpy Posts: 1280
I like your remedies clio! Must give them all a go in a couple of days - want to get a new chest of drawers first :o0 I've read on mm that the castor oil can bring on labour quite violently and the general consensus seems to be to stay well away from it.
irish bride Posts: 558
oh god defo couldnt face the castor oil thing!!
Baby cakes Posts: 1237
wouldnt touch the castor oil, not a hope its meant to be dangerous. The eating spicy foods and the rest are all ok but dont do anything too out there, babas will arrive when they are good and ready. Oh and have loads of nookie whatever way you can :o0 :eek
Moet for me Posts: 1841
Nookie didn't help me neither did spicy food in fact in the end the only thing that persuaded her to come out was the surgeon's knife she really really liked it in there :o0
chilledout Posts: 834
I heard the castor oil thing wasn't a good idea either. Although I'd try anything at this stage! I'm on three cups of raspberry leaf tea, on my second fresh pineapple, have just been for a walk (OK it was around the shopping centre but I was walking!) and have been up and down the stairs several times today. Still nothing. Think I need to have a spicy dinner and I might try the wine, hadn't heard that one. Would alcohol not slow the baby down being a sedative? I have been having a glass or two a week during my pregnancy but haven't had one since Christmas. Might be worth a try!
chilledout Posts: 834
Well I had a spicy dinner and a couple of glasses of wine last night and I'm still here today!! I was in the hospital for a check up this morning and they said the baby is fine and in no distress, it just couldn't be bothered. Time for another cup of raspberry leaf tea!
mammybean Posts: 10364
FSIL used sex al three times. says it wokred a treat
summer daisy Posts: 1336
I tried absolutely everything too (except the castor oil) but the nookie was the most fun (there is NO time for this afterwards!!). It didn't make one bit of difference and the baby came finally 21 hours after being induced! and twelve whole days late! Even after 21 hours she still needed to be enticed out with a lovely suction cup.. BUT it is all worth it and you forget the wait when you get to hold your little angel!!