Omega 3

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

peanut14 Posts: 71
Hi, I'm 29 weeks pregnant and looking to take Omega 3 supplements, I've heard to stay away from Cod liver but I'm just wondering if its ok to take regular omega 3 suppplements or does it have to be ones like prengancare/ones especially for pregnant women? Thanks.
Blake Posts: 34
Hi there, This is something I was was only looking into myself the other day. I'm 28.5 weeks and heard the importance of Omega 3 and DHA for baby's Brain development. From doing some research on this they said its best to try and get Omega 3 from Food sources over supplements if possible. I'm already taking a multivitamin so I don't want to end up taking too many supplements etc. Best sources of Omega 3 are: Flaxseed Wild Atlantic Salmon Anchovies Walnuts Eggs (with Omega 3) Hope that helps!
Mrs W Posts: 2923
There is a pregnacare with omega 3 and that is the safe level to take. I would take lots of supplements normally but my doc warned me to only take the pregnancy recommended levels
streaks Posts: 3592
There is a morDHA for pregnancy and breastfeeding that I was taking when ttc, once pregnant I had to sop as I was too queasy, I couldn't even take pregnacare. I changed my supplement to pregnaplan and they have omega oils incorporated. I found them easier on the tummy, less expensive than pregnacare and they are made by sona which is an Irish company. Might be worth a look. Otherwise I'd only take something that's suitable in pregnancy and your chemist should be able to advise you of the best options.
atina Posts: 2240
I've been taking omega 3 since I was 6 weeks pregnant as advised by my doctor
streaks Posts: 3592
Which one are you taking atina?
atina Posts: 2240
I just got a big tub of tesco plain omega 3, I also take tesco vit D and one galfer every second day I found it works out a lot cheaper then buying specific pregnancy supplements and it is the same amounts that are in the pregnancy specific ones
Thanks ladies for all the replies. I think I might try the pregnplan streaks. I should have mentioned that I've had hyperemesis and haven't been keeping food down, I'm nearly 30 weeks and feeling stressed that I haven't been getting proper nutrition.
Thanks Blake for the list, luckily when I'm having a good day eggs are the one food that I can tolerate.