One birth preference you don't want to leave out.

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

twoboys Posts: 320
This is a really good TED talk about the benefits to newborns of 'optimal' cord clamping (delayed) and how important those few moments are for your baby's immune system...brain development and more. Even if you've decided not to write any birth preferences this is one you don't want to leave out. Tracy
dilin o damhsa Posts: 776
Thanks for the link. I'm very interested in this and the lecture looks like a nice non gorey clip to show DH ;o)
Snuddlums Posts: 1644
My ds was born 5 weeks early on side of the road and as a result was left attached to cord for a few mins whilst waiting on the ambulance,his platet count was high and drs said that being left attached for that bit longer would benefit rather than hindrance him.
Poppyseed Posts: 513
Thanks for sharing this! It's a fantastic lecture, really thought provoking stuff!. I will definitely be discussing this with my consultant.
Thisishappening Posts: 163
Definitely doing this. It's something I'd heard of before and knew I would be insisting on it. DH just watched the linked video with me now so he knows why it's important so he'll be able to back me up. Seems crazy to me that this is not normal procedure Thanks for posting
CestMoi Posts: 2162
Well worth writing it down with your preferences. I was told as midwife read through my preferences that it wasn't hospital policy to allow it, but as I had done the research and requested it she didn't see a problem with allowing it, provided all was going well after the delivery.
Steph2 Posts: 1044
Thanks for posting this. Very intersting. Gotta love Tedtalks!!! O-O
MsChat Posts: 270
Interesting. I only just read this idea recently on this blog. I had never heard of it before. [quote:t1r34lz6]In much of the modern world, it is common practice to clamp and cut the umbilical cord immediately after the birth of a child. Research has found that waiting just 2-3 minutes after birth before clamping the cord allows up to 50% more blood volume to pulse from the placenta to the newborn [10]. A 2-minute delay has been shown to result in higher total body iron and plasma ferritin (reflecting iron storage) at 6 months of age, equating to about an extra month’s worth of iron stores [11, 12]. [/quote:t1r34lz6] [url:t1r34lz6]http://scienceofmom.com/2011/10/12/why-is-breast-milk-so-low-in-iron/[/url:t1r34lz6]