One day in London - what would you do?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

polly inn Posts: 178
We're going to a wedding next weekend in London. We never get away anymore and I'm really excited. Anyway we have the Friday to ourselves - what should we do/see? I'm not a museum/gallery person so they're out. I'd love to go to some markets or something like that, go for a nice lunch and dinner that evening. Any recommendations?
Penny Hill Posts: 1898
Camden market and covent garden are great for markets. Covent garden is great for afternoon drinks or a nice bite to eat
excitedjuly12 Posts: 1722
We went up on the London Eye, I thought it was good. Covert Garden is also great, lovely cafes/restaurants there. Maybe go to a West End show... Enjoy your weekend :o)ll
MrsGilhooley Posts: 1235
Borough market is an excellent food market that would be nice for lunch
Mad Mod Posts: 1079
[url:140wrntw]http://uk.westfield.com/london/[/url:140wrntw]
Eleanor Rigby Posts: 1067
[quote="MrsGilhooley":3lznsm06]Borough market is an excellent food market that would be nice for lunch[/quote:3lznsm06] +1 I love this spot, sip on a glass of Prosecco and eat some lovely bits. I probably sound like a right lush but if you're into wine there is an unbelievable wine bar in Embankment called Gordons. It's in a cellar and is lit only by candles (so watch your bags!!!) but it's really romantic and gorgeous. Have a great time!
polly inn Posts: 178
ooh fab girls, thanks a million. :thnk
RainbowNinja Posts: 4437
I'd recommend the hop on hop off sight seeing bus The London dungeons is also great fun!
lorraine78 Posts: 988
[quote="RainbowNinja":1hg9cmco]I'd recommend the hop on hop off sight seeing bus The longship dungeons is also great fun![/quote:1hg9cmco] I agree about the sightseeing buses,they're great value and a great way to see London.The London Dungeons are great craic too,was very impressed with all the actors! Last time i was in London was for my 30th and we booked The Ivy for our evening meal,was absolutely fantastic.Very well priced and great for celeb watching.Keanu Reeves was there the night we were.Only thing is you cant have your mobile phone switched on whilst you're there and no cameras!
vegaswedding Posts: 208
I live in London and my perfect day out is Borough market for food- opens early until about 3pm, amazing food and the best part is sampling everything. From there, walk down embankment all the way down to Big Ben and the London eye. You will see canary wharf, the gherkin, st pauls, the tate modern, millenium bridge and so many famous sites on the way. there is a pub on the way, can't remember the name but it's almost opposite St Pauls, you can sit outside or by the window for amazing London views. I agree that Gordons is lovely for a drink- it's on the opposite side that you will be walking down, it's at the back of Embankment tube bstation and looks like it's a closed old store but open the door and go downstairs.