One of those days....

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mrswifey2012 Posts: 2042
SunnyK Posts: 3834
That's awful TCM - just so sad hearing stories like that when most people you run into are all happy and excited about Christmas - makes you remember and realise that not everyone is so lucky. I think if I were you I would definitely be going home to have a little :o( to let it all out!
plainsconesonly Posts: 300
Oh thats very tough. My mom is a primary school teacher and tells a lot of the same stories as you Im sure experience. Your bound to get upset by it. A little girl my mom uste to teach, she was seven and my mom brought in chocolates one day as it was end of term, they all got one each. The little girl runs up to my mom and hugs her thanks so much teacher I had no dinner or breakfast today. Heartbreaking. Chin up!
highbeam Posts: 2578
That is just awful. Your heart goes out to those kids. You'd feel like bringing them all over for Christmas dinner. Sometimes you forget not everyone is as fortunate.
It's always the kids though that suffer. And 99.9% of the time, it's not their fault. I'm usually quite good at not bringing it home and not dwelling on it to much, but today I just can't deal with it.
Couchkitten Posts: 438
If it's any consolation I know how you feel. I'm a secondary teacher in a tough area as well and it just breaks my heart some days. All we can do is keep the chin up and carry on, and hopefully in the long run the good days outweigh the bad. :action32 One of the saddest experiences my husband ever had was when he was volunteering for a helpline, and was on duty on Christmas day on the phone and a little boy rang so that someone could listen to him opening his presents on Christmas morning because his parents were in bed hungover, so DH was listening to this poor little mite going "Oh my god I got an action man that's brilliant!" Just thought it was so heartbreaking that no one got up to open his presents with him
McLisa Posts: 1815
i take my hat off to you for doing such a wonderful job, i would love to have the strength to do something like that but i know i would be an emotional wreck so i applaud you and its only natural that it would take its toll on you now and again and especially at a time of year like this. It breaks my heart to think of some of the households children come from and it must be so difficult for you seeing the potential some of these children have but they are just caught up in this poverty circle. I was supposed to be having a fancy lunch with the girls today but you have convinced me to save the money and donate a present to charity for a child at christmas...i dont need to be stuffing my face anymore :o0 and i would like to think that some child somewhere would be benefitting on christmas day. chin up and well done you on such a good job!
[quote="McLisa":3a6k6x29]i take my hat off to you for doing such a wonderful job, i would love to have the strength to do something like that but i know i would be an emotional wreck so i applaud you and its only natural that it would take its toll on you now and again and especially at a time of year like this. It breaks my heart to think of some of the households children come from and it must be so difficult for you seeing the potential some of these children have but they are just caught up in this poverty circle. I was supposed to be having a fancy lunch with the girls today but you have convinced me to save the money and donate a present to charity for a child at christmas...i dont need to be stuffing my face anymore :o0 and i would like to think that some child somewhere would be benefitting on christmas day. chin up and well done you on such a good job![/quote:3a6k6x29] Fair play to you, but there's no need. We all still need our little treats! I always thought I wouldn't be able to do a job like this and that I'd take it all home and cry myself to sleep at night, but the truth is, I get comfort from the hope that I am making some sort of a difference to the kids I meet everyday. Don't get me wrong, a lot of these kids have serious behavioural problems and I regularly get told to 'F*** off', these kids aren't all sweetness and light! But when you meet the parents or hear their story, you often get some insight into why they behave like this. With regard the SVP, I rarely give money to charities like this, I would do an extra bit of shopping to donate. I'm currently doing up hampers for them at the moment, in the hope that maybe some of it might get to the innocent parties in all this.
Elizabeth Bennett Posts: 682
[quote="TheCatsMother":14oaukb3] On this note, I would urge those of you that can afford it, to donate whatever you can to SVP. Absolutely extraordinary organisation and they really need it at the mo! ([/quote:14oaukb3] We are going to Gift grub 2 charity gig in the Olympia tomorrow night, all proceeds going to SVP which I think is a really fantastic gesture from Mario, ticketmaster and the olympia. They need all the help they can get this time of year.
[quote="Elizabeth Bennett":34zd3s1v][quote="TheCatsMother":34zd3s1v] On this note, I would urge those of you that can afford it, to donate whatever you can to SVP. Absolutely extraordinary organisation and they really need it at the mo! ([/quote:34zd3s1v] We are going to Gift grub 2 charity gig in the Olympia tomorrow night, all proceeds going to SVP which I think is a really fantastic gesture from Mario, ticketmaster and the olympia. They need all the help they can get this time of year.[/quote:34zd3s1v] Are there still tickets available? Extremely generous of all involved.