One Pint = Too Much

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

NowGone Posts: 8042
One Pint will now put you over the limit to drive: From Th'Indo THE drink-driving limit is finally being cut in a move that will mean just one pint of beer or one measure of spirits will put most drivers over the limit. And an even lower limit is to be introduced for learner and professional drivers such as truckers. This amounts to an effective zero tolerance policy for these categories of drivers. The limit for drivers with full licences is coming down from 80mg to 50mg of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood or urine, and for L-drivers and professional drivers the new limit will be 20mg. The advisory group had been asked by the Government to decide whether the limit should be cut to 50mg, 20mg or zero. The Government originally intended to introduce a limit of 50mg, but controversially dropped this from its final road-safety strategy just before Christmas. ... After considering the matter for the past three months, the group is recommending the new lower limit of 50mg for motorists holding full licences and they expect that this will be implemented by the Government "as a matter of urgency". ... The 20mg limit will remain in force for at least two years after learners pass their driving test under the new graduated licensing system. ... Alcohol is now officially recognised as being a factor in four in 10 road deaths here. When Sweden lowered the limit in 1990 to 20mg, fatal alcohol-related accidents were reduced by 10pc. ... Link to full article. http://www.independent.ie/national-news ... 14142.html
Wifey-Pooh Posts: 2125
Well that's good but how about enforcing it????????
survivor Posts: 2507
O:| O:| O:| O:| O:| O:| O:| O:| I dont think levels that existed were too low. The problem has always been enforcement. These new levels mean that if I drink on Friday night i won't be able to drive until Sunday.
mollyeile Posts: 2486
I don't drive at all after a drink but would be really worried about being over the next morning - no more weekday drinkies I guess
Mrs plaza Posts: 3031
I firmly believe in an outright ban on the drinking and driving brigade (esp the f├║ckwits who think its fine to drive home after a night in the pub) , but there is not enough resources to enforce it so not sure how this is going to improve the carnage stats. I only see checkpoints at Christmas and speed cameras on the M1 on a friday at a location were the speed limit reduces from 120 to 80. A no brainer for the traffic cops to increase revenues. If you drink at home on a Friday night, you must be careful and think before you drive the next day. It takes over 12 hours for the alcohol to be released through your system. Welcome back NZ !
[quote="Mrs Plaza"] Welcome back NZ ![/quote] Thanks Mrs P, how ya doing? :wv I'd love to say it's a pleasure to be back, but I'm not mucb of a liar....
[quote:1p4r6esq]'d love to say it's a pleasure to be back, but I'm not mucb of a liar.... [/quote:1p4r6esq] They say absence makes the heart grow fonder........ ! ;o)
Mmmmmmm. Only sometimes. :innocent: / :o0 How's yourself?
I'm grand NZ, flitting in and out of here when the server/ my workload allows , deadlines to meet by friday as usual but taking a week off so its all good. Bit sick of here lately, you have not missed much tbh.
Milly83 Posts: 3620
I totally agree with the limit being lower but seriously, how many of us have a few too many on a Friday night, stay in a friend's house and drive home around noon the next day? We are surely still over the limit then. I have heard of those personal breahaliser things that you can get. Anyone know where you can get them cheap? Just to be sure!!!